go_away

Author Topic: R/C Helicopter Rover  (Read 1958 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
R/C Helicopter Rover
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for an electric R/C helicopter with a range of at least 1/2 mile . Obviously the heli needs to be able to lift a spy cam
I also need to find some sort of mini spy camera that has the same range as the helicopter but also has to be good quality camera- meaning as little "fuzzy" video as possible.

My plan is to then hack the R/C transmitter and control it from a computer. Probably use a joystick thats connected to the computer. The camera's wireless output would also be fed into the computer.

I need the whole system to last for at least 1/2 hour in the air.
My budget is $1000.

I am really at a loss here since I don't know what makes a helicopter "good" and I also can't seem to find a good lightweight long distance camera.

Thanks,
Eric
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
Re: R/C Helicopter Rover
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
what about this?
http://widicam.net/main/html/rcxufo.html

What do you guys think? Quadracopter or Helicopter?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
quadracopter... more stable flight
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
Get on aim!!

www.rangevideo.com has video TXs and RXs, look for the 900mhz 500mw TX and a RX

30 minutes in the air is impossible on a heli under $1000. To get longer flight times you'll have to go bigger.. and thousands more dollars. Most RC helicopters do about 5-10 minutes, but they sacrifice flight time for performance. You could stick on another battery to get maybe 15 minutes, maybe 20... but the bigger sized heli you go with, the better the flight times you will get.

Range will be no problem, dont worry since basically all hobby grade RC systems can go fore more than one mile.

X-UFO is a good platform to start on, you have to learn to fly before making anything with it and after youve learned on that you can hack it a little, but with nimh batteries and brushed motors, you won't get too far.

Also collective pitch normal helicopters are more stable than quadrocopters which use fixed pitch  ;)  The quads just look more stable because they have gyroscopes to stabilize - standard helicopters don't because people want to 3d with them.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
you might be able to put a solar panel or two to help your batery out but i think that ould waist as just much energy as it would make
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline izaktj

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for an electric R/C helicopter with a range of at least 1/2 mile . Obviously the heli needs to be able to lift a spy cam
I also need to find some sort of mini spy camera that has the same range as the helicopter but also has to be good quality camera- meaning as little "fuzzy" video as possible.

My plan is to then hack the R/C transmitter and control it from a computer. Probably use a joystick thats connected to the computer. The camera's wireless output would also be fed into the computer.

I need the whole system to last for at least 1/2 hour in the air.
My budget is $1000.

I am really at a loss here since I don't know what makes a helicopter "good" and I also can't seem to find a good lightweight long distance camera.

Thanks,
Eric

Try rcgroups.com
the have plenty on info about it ;)
But beware, I once asked for the" joystick trough computer" and didn't receive very friendly comments. There is something called FPV too, try that section mate.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:45:09 AM by izaktj »

Offline aludra_55

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »
wow...  1/2 hour?...  that's gonna be a tough one...   you could try using the 2.4GHz transmitters...
those are quite reliable... 

Get Your Ad Here

data_list