Author Topic: Help setting up servo motors  (Read 1578 times)

Offline jediryan123Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Help setting up servo motors
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »
Hello,

I just got my robot parts in the mail today and I need help with a few things. I am trying to make a remote controlled robot, to start of with something "easy" for my first robot. I have read the remote controlled robot tutorial on this site. My controller is a Futaba MegaTech 2PL and my servos are Futaba S3003's with a R142JE receiver.

1. I have 2 servos and they are set so one controls forward and reverse and the other is left and right, how do I set it up for a differential drive system

2. I need to modify the servos to turn 360 degree's continuously, I am not using a micro controller so how do I get them to 0 degrees by hand?

Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:30:57 AM by jediryan123 »

Offline izaktj

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Help setting up servo motors
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
1- In order for the robot to move forward, one servo will move forward and the other in reverse (So both move "forward" because the servos will be on opposite sides), to move to 1 side you can make them both move forward (so it will look one is backwards and the other one is forwards).

http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_differentialdrive.shtml
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:04:59 PM by izaktj »

Offline frodo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • BOW DOWN TO MY MIGHTY STARE!!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
2)  turn the horn round to both sides until it stops with your hands and try to position it approx 0 degrees.
OMG!!!! I AM SUPREME ROBOT!!!

Check out my Web

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »
Since you are not using a microcontroller you will have to come up with a hardware solution.

1. You will have to buy a V-Tail mixer for RC airplanes, costs around $5. If you like the satisfaction of building your own mixer, try here:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/mixer.htm

2. Connect the unmodified servos to the receiver. Make sure all the trim knobs on the transmitter are set to center. Open up the servos so the pot is showing. Slightly adjust the pot until the motor stops spinning.

Offline jediryan123Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »
OK thanks but my controller is one of those ones with a trigger and a steering wheel that look like a gun. and the trigger controls one servo and the driving wheel controls the other servo, I need it so the both wheels go forward when I push the trigger and then I need for the wheels to spin in opposite directions to turn when I turn the steering wheel.

EDIT: Thanks for the mixer schematics but it looks a bit to complicated for me ???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:37:43 PM by jediryan123 »

Get Your Ad Here