Software > Software

Help on a project

(1/2) > >>

ComputerGeek:
Hi everybody I've done a few posts here but this is my first topic. I'm interested in starting a project that would supply amateur robotisists with a software based PIC that will allow interfacing with a PC. What I'm looking for out of this thread is some input or feedback on how I can organize this for everybody's use.

The program will be written in C/C++ because this is I believe the most widely known language and the one I have the most experience in. I know that VB may offer some direct interface but there are issues with that "language" that I could start a whole new topic complaining about. The idea is to use a stand alone boot floppy like the kind created when you format the disk to be bootable and a serial/USB interface to plug into an optically insulated circut then into the device/robot. The interface for the user is still up in the air but I'm leaning toward latter logic like the kind used in PLC's, DEFINITLY WANT FEED BACK ON THAT, I WANT AN ELEMENTRY STUDENT TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS.

So there it is; let me know what you think and if you can contribute with code snippets, wrappers or your own experience with robot control systems and what to do or not to do then we can supply the robot community with an easy to use and free program. Thanks  :D

Admin:
Why not just program directly with a serial cable? ???

ComputerGeek:
?!?! How do you mean?!?!?

What I mean to do is design a homemade PIC Controller and software to communicate with it so that some one could build one from scratch. The programming would be like writing a driver for customized hardware. But now I'm curious about what you mean.  ???

Admin:
well, not entirely sure what you mean, so we could be talking about two totally different things . . .

but normally one would just attach a serial cable (or USB cable) from a PC into the serial port of a microcontroller. this is how I program my microcontrollers . . .

you can also interact with the microcontroller through serial by printf'ing text, and reading keystroke inputs, all by serial cable . . .
here is an example of me doing this with hyperterminal:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_data_logging.shtml

you can also use hyperterminal to upload your .hex files

JesseWelling:
Maybe he was talking about an emulator?
and IIRC MPLAB already comes with one.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version