Author Topic: RoboPhilo kit  (Read 2199 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RiffRaffTopic starter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 59
  • Helpful? 0
RoboPhilo kit
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
Hi All,

I've been reading for a while and am currently waiting for a shipment from DigiKey so that I can build the $50, er $80 robot- I ordered the ISP2 programmer.

In the mean time, I got my hands on a RoboPhilo kit and during the building I have encountered a problem.  All 17 of the large servos are equipped with caps that have tabs which are meant only for the two servos which mount onto each of the robot's feet (ankle servos), and these tabs make the servos impossible to fit into the other mounting brackets.

I sent an email explaining the problem to the customer service contact listed on RoboPhilo's website, since the forums and FAQ are 'coming soon'- how long has this robot been on the market?  However, since the website is long out of date, I am not confident that I will get a satisfactory response.

I believe I can pretty easily modify the servos by removing the tabs, but I was wondering whether anyone here has build a RoboPhilo and had similar problems... if so what was your remedy?

It looks like I just might build the $50 robot first, especially if I have to wait for replacement parts for the RoboPhilo.

Thanks for your time,


Offline Admin

  • Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • *****
  • Posts: 11,695
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: RoboPhilo kit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »
How about making custom brackets? What servo does it use?

Anyway, you'll learn a lot more about robotics from the $50 Robot then you'll ever learn from that kit. :P

Offline RiffRaffTopic starter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 59
  • Helpful? 0
Re: RoboPhilo kit
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Admin, and thanks for this awesome site.

After doing a little more online research I found out that all of the RoboPhilo kits come with servos requiring modifications for mounting.  It was no major obstacle.  I put the kit together, got my computer to install the initial position software on the robot's board, and ran into a wall trying to 'fine tune' the servos.

So.... I built the pcb for the $50 robot while waiting for some advice from RoboBrothers, who aren't answering emails from me at the moment.  Also, the forum on their website is non-existant: 'coming soon' more than a year after their kits hit the shelves.

My soldering skills were quite rusty, but I have managed to construct the pcb you designed and get green lights from the programmer.
That felt really good :)

Hell, I just might get my $50 bot finished and be working on upgrades before I get the RoboPhilo up and running around.



Get Your Ad Here