Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Increasing Servo Torque

(1/2) > >>

rabi_tagore:
Hey,
I am confused about the concept of adding gears to increase the torque of a motor(or in my case, a servo). I have absolutely no problem with the theory(not that I have a strong grasp...but I can always learn it..not the tough part). But actually incorporating gears onto a servo mechanically seems confusing. U can mount a servo to a robot base by using screws and pre-made servo mounts, but how do u add gears to a servo? Won't the gears fall off without a properly defined structure made particularly to hold those gears(i probably sound extremely stupid)? Or could I simply add pre-made "torque-raisers" to my servos(if so, can u please guide me to where I can buy them or what they are called).

So basically any help regarding the constructional(not theoretical) aspect of adding gears to servos will be greatly appreciated. Any thing pre-made is preferred!...lol(dont want things to get too complicated).

Thanks a lot guys....

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...STILL AWAITING A REPLY

silent tone:
I've been on a quest for this myself.  Most hobby servos are too fast and too weak for my application, so I've been looking for ways to gear them down.  I haven't found a great/easy/cheap method, so I'd like some input as well. 

What I have found is that, yes you do need to mount them securely to your servo or frame.  Planetary gears are efficient and usually have high gear ratios (I'd love to get one of these in a gearbox to bolt onto a servo).  Spur gears are decently efficient and easier/cheaper than planetary gears.  I've also found that every interface between the teeth of one gear and another cuts the efficiency.  Since hobby servos already have 5-6 gears in them already, I've been looking for a way to remove all of those and replace them with a few high ratio spur gears, to gain efficiency and a higher gear ratio.  This has been a big dead-end so far.  Even finding the parts at a not-obscene price has been difficult.  I have found an off-the-shelf solution:

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_power_gearboxes.html

The structure is pretty simple.  If you're handy, you could construct the frame they built and just relocate the pot to the axle that the output gear is on so that you keep the full range of motion.  I have seen several people warn to avoid building gearboxes if you can since they need to be rigid and precise, so I'm hesitant to attempt something complicated.

Brandon121233:
What kind of tools do you guys have acess too, cause if you dont have a lathe and milling machine, you can pretty much rule out building the gearbox your self. And also most gear boxes that are out there are meant to decrease speed in more than a 10:1 ratio, so your servos will be going very very slowly (mabey 1 or 2 RPM), I think that they do sell slow servos. Also is it just that you need the torque increased, or you just want it slower, cause you can just buy a regular speed super high torque winch servo and have it not going full speed.

rabi_tagore:
That link certainly gave me some idea of how gearboxes are and all that and definitely gave me a new direction, but those things are sh*t expensive man...lol. Was looking for something much cheaper. Yes, ur right...making gearboxes by ourselves would require very precise structures that a common hobby person would not be able to do with a basic jigsaw or some other tool. The only option left is premade gearboxes. I will look into a bit more, but anyone else that already knows about good options for these problems, PLEASE reply.

rabi_tagore:

--- Quote from: Brandon121233 on March 06, 2007, 06:39:55 PM ---What kind of tools do you guys have acess too, cause if you dont have a lathe and milling machine, you can pretty much rule out building the gearbox your self. And also most gear boxes that are out there are meant to decrease speed in more than a 10:1 ratio, so your servos will be going very very slowly (mabey 1 or 2 RPM), I think that they do sell slow servos. Also is it just that you need the torque increased, or you just want it slower, cause you can just buy a regular speed super high torque winch servo and have it not going full speed.

--- End quote ---

I basically want an increased torque preferably with a decreased speed...anything in that direction. I am looking for premade gearboxes itself, and since I am not looking for a specific ratio, any sort of a gearbox should work for me. But where do u get them? How do they look? How do u install them? Please do give us some direction to start some research on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version