Author Topic: using cellphone bluetooth to control robot  (Read 26892 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
using cellphone bluetooth to control robot
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Here is my setup that already works:

- bluetooth on PC connected to bluetooth on robot
- after connected, sparkfun bluetooth LED turns red
- I push a keyboard button, robot does stuff

Now since my cellphone has bluetooth too, why can't my cellphone control my robot? But it isn't working . . .

So I turn on bluetooth on my cell, detect the SparkFun bluetooth correctly, and enter the password 'default'. It correctly connects, at least on the cell phone side.

However there are two problems . . . the sparkfun LED doesn't turn red . . . and how the heck do I transmit simple text to bluetooth on a cell phone? I mean, I don't want to send random pics to my robot . . . my cellphone is a Nokia 2600.

I wonder if cellphones have HyperTerminal? :P

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
Re: using cellphone bluetooth to control robot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
sendind direct data from cellphone to robot isint possible the normal way..u have to mod ur phone..if ur phone is java enabled use j2me to load up some of ur programs and then u can do it
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
You need to take a look at how people use cell phones to control Lego NXT robots using Bluetooth. I remember seeing something on a blog somewhere, but I didn't find it fast enough.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
actually my friends used bluetooth to control their bot...but they had to mod the phone using custom made j2me programs,...i think u have to do the same.. .:D
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
Bluetooth is after all a serial port for the PC.... You need software for your mobile...
Sony Erickson have a bluetooth mouse application embedded... called remote control....
I guess it's simple SP/2 commands transmitter over bluetooth to the PC as serial incoming data....
I also guess that you can do the same with your bot....
Bad thing I know very little about Nokia.... Although considered hell better for jobs like that.... Erickson are just toys....
I hope I could help you further but.... my knowledge stops here...
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
Hah, I've tried this long ago.

I've been able to add my robot's BlueSMiRF to my cell phone for pairing, but as far as communicating, it depends on what Bluetooth profiles your phone supports. And just because you have a Nokia doesn't really mean anything, it depends on what your provider allows your UI to support. With verizon they lock down everything as much as they can. Verizon also only supports Brew applications so I can't use any cool Java apps on my phone. So it depends how unlocked your phone is to upload some custom software. Also you have to make sure your firmware on your phone has the correct bluetooth profile. I beleive it is called SPP.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Technology/Works/SPP.htm

Offline scadabg

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:37:30 AM »
Here is my setup that already works:

- bluetooth on PC connected to bluetooth on robot
- after connected, sparkfun bluetooth LED turns red
- I push a keyboard button, robot does stuff

Now since my cellphone has bluetooth too, why can't my cellphone control my robot? But it isn't working . . .

So I turn on bluetooth on my cell, detect the SparkFun bluetooth correctly, and enter the password 'default'. It correctly connects, at least on the cell phone side.

However there are two problems . . . the sparkfun LED doesn't turn red . . . and how the heck do I transmit simple text to bluetooth on a cell phone? I mean, I don't want to send random pics to my robot . . . my cellphone is a Nokia 2600.

I wonder if cellphones have HyperTerminal? :P

Hi I have some experience with cell phone bluetooth control. Basically the software is a java j2me application which uses bluetooth to connect to the uart bluetooth module.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »
If you get a windows mobile phone or pda they do make a putty version that works good for the smart phones. If it will talk through bluetooth I don't know but I use it all the time to talk to cell modems for my translator stations. Of course thats when verizon doesn't screw my static IP address up and spend over a month trying to fix it.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
Basically the software is a java j2me application which uses bluetooth to connect to the uart bluetooth module.
Got details? What software? What phone are you using? Do you load up the j2me app through Nokia Applications?

Offline scadabg

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
I am using Nokia 5000 but I have tested the application also with Nokia 2600 classic.
The devices which support Java JSR-082 (Bluetooth api) and my app are located here http://code.google.com/p/bluecove/wiki/phones
The application is loaded to the phone using a bluetooth connection.
The application is Open Source and can be modified and compiled with NETBEAMS IDE in order to suit your needs.
For details and more pictures http://microcontroller-bg.com

After the application starts it does the following:
- connects to the bluetooth serial module
- loads the user interface

In my case every checkbox has an assigned message for example if the checkbox is checked it sends the string "on" to the bluetooth module after pressing enter. If the checkbox is unchecked it sends "Off" to the bluetooth module. Of cource there are various items which can be used as input for example textbox, button, scroller, combobox, also a specific action can be assigned for the phone keypad like left right up down for buttons 4,6,2,8. This can be useful for controlling the robot.
With the nokia 5000 and a Class 1 Bluetooth module like BTM-222 the Direct LOS range is about 45 meters.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:54:44 AM by scadabg »

Offline scadabg

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
Basically the software is a java j2me application which uses bluetooth to connect to the uart bluetooth module.
Got details? What software? What phone are you using? Do you load up the j2me app through Nokia Applications?

The software cost is 0 USD (Open Source GPL License). If you want me to adopt it for your needs it will cost you 25 USD

Offline shida

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:28 AM »
hi..
i'm a new member.i 'm doing a project with my mobile (it's nokia 3250 or 7610), i have to get some data from bluetooth madule(AUBTM 22).how can i find a software to make my mobile bluetooth a serial port?
i saw your comments about that but i could'nt find "java j2me"
help me please.   

Get Your Ad Here