go_away

Author Topic: Servo Setup GUI for Axon  (Read 1400 times)

Offline robofactorsTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Servo Setup GUI for Axon
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Axon (and C coding) world, and was wondering if anyone out there had (or could) written a simple GUI/hex combo that would allow you to control a particular port on the Axon to move a servo to a particular position.  This would be useful in setting up servos to center or a known position for testing and/or assembly.  I have tried using the Roborealm module, but as their values (0-225) don't correspond to the values in C code (200~1100) it doesn't help for setting home position when coding.

I figure simple version, a dropdown to choose a port on the Axon, a COM drop down, an input box for the value, and an execute button.

Basically the Roborealm module, but using raw C code position values as opposed to the 0-255 referential values.

I hope that all made sense.

Thanks for listening to my babbling.

Marc

Offline ceruleanplains

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
Re: Servo Setup GUI for Axon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
I wrote a VB code for an Arduino but not the Axon as I don't have that MCU.  Not what features are required other than perhaps a whole slew more servo options to control.  I'm also not sure about the initialization port control of the Axon vs. the Arduino. 

The code just assists you define center positions for your servos for that start-up run with the GUI however, it doesn't calibrate it in the code by occupying the EEPROM.  I do all that thruogh the GUI as you can just save a servo id and a nominal center position in there and control them dynamically through the GUI.

I considered it a very worth while exercise to be able to learn all the comm protocols and some of the interface requirements and it has been awesome in testing.  My application is for ROVs so autonomous wandering guys would need potentially significant overhead changes to get the EEPROM to be coded.  There are some VB templates available in the Parallax developers forum so you can google Parallax and VB and find some of that.

Offline Canabots

• Contest Winner
  • Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • It's not a bug, it's a feature!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
This here would be useful for servos: http://www.roborealm.com/help/SOR_Axon.php

It has a scroll bar interface that allows you to control servo positions.
My robotics, electronics, software, or other stuff blog:
www.saltech.wordpress.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
robofactors tried that already . . . I think he is now using USB to send angle commands to quickly figure out proper angles?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list