Author Topic: Weatherproofing an EZ1  (Read 1028 times)

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
Weatherproofing an EZ1
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »
Anyone got any ideas how to weatherproof an EZ1 ultrasonic sensor? I know they make a weatherproof one but that costs $100 and will not fit in this projects budget. So anyone have any ideas on how to make this thing survive rain and snow? these will be mounted to satellite dishes in remote places like mountains that I need to keep alive for a long time. Or is it impossible?

Thanks
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline frank26080115

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Weatherproofing an EZ1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
maybe replacing the transducer with the waterproof one from http://www.futurlec.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors.shtml

in addition, shield the sensor with something so no water or snow will ever get on it or get in the way
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:35:42 AM by frank26080115 »

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »
Hmmm you could check how much covering it with a very thin fabric interferes with the range finding. If it is still operational, then you could make a tent like structure around it. The fabric doesn't need to be waterproofed, because drops will just slide down the slopes. I'm presuming there is no chance of the sensor becoming submerged.

Hmm just a thought :P
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
I have found that the U/S sensors work fine through the anti-static foam that you get with chips, etc. That foam is fairly resistant to water splashing.  You could enclose your sensor using the foam for one side of the enclosure.

Get Your Ad Here