Author Topic: Not a robot but...Build help needed  (Read 2014 times)

Offline craigr1982Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Not a robot but...Build help needed
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
Hey there, first time poster.

I'm a PC Case Modder and I'm looking for some servo help for my new build.  Here's a quick animation of my idea.

Photobucket

As you can see it has moving side panels, which I could use a servo arm / push rod to push the sides open.  Or I could use a rack and pinion style to slide the side open. 

Which would be best and easiest to control via PC.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline kpmcgurk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
Re: Not a robot but...Build help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
Try out this website, you can get some really great ideas with some of the products they offer!!!
http://www.servocity.com/index.html

I personaly think that both of your options would work great, and it is depending on the amount of room that you will have inside the computer case.

This is a great Idea, Keep up the good work, and this is most certainly robotic!!
some people are just Born smart, but some people have to work for it, and those are the people who succeed.

http://www.proboticworld.com

Offline craigr1982Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »

those fans would be 120mm, at a rough guess I'm looking at around 28 degrees of travel (rotation), and probably about 130mm of travel if it were on a rack and pinion.

no doubt I shall be picking your collective brains on this mod as the last time I played with servos I was about 10 with my remote controlled car.  so I'm a little rusty. hehe

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »
You'd probably want a linear actuator or worm screw actuator. This is because your motor will have to stay on and hold the position for long periods of time, probably until it fries.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »
Hi,

Just a word of caution. You might be creating a turbulence within the box where the 2 fans fight each other, with much less cooling action than what you'd assume. A bit of fan ducting could help avoid that.

If it's not supposed to be for looks/effect, a simple solution would be to spring load the "wings" and have a release button to open them. They could then be pushed in manually.
If it is indeed for effect, consider a sound generator making a noise like the sliding doors in Doom while they move ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 08:30:50 AM »
If it is indeed for effect, consider a sound generator making a noise like the sliding doors in Doom while they move

I was thinking of the sound the door in the delorean makes ;D

And who mods a case for practical reasons? :P

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 06:00:04 PM »
Hi,

And who mods a case for practical reasons? :P
Overclockers mainly.
(Gee, I don't recall the sound of the deLoreans doors - have to pay attention the next time it's on the tube).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline buddhika

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
I think that rack & pinion is better for this robot.But it takes more space.So thinks another way to do this.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list