go_away

Author Topic: shape identifying robot CMU CAM  (Read 1593 times)

Offline kasundineshTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
shape identifying robot CMU CAM
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
hi,
 I am planning to build a robot that able to identify simple shapes(circle, triangle, rectangle ). I am using CMU cam.
I think it will correct if i use Line mode. Can anyone help me with some source codes and methods to do this. I am a little bit  confused in line mode. i didnt understand how can i manage the data sending in line mode of CMU cam.
thank you
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:28:45 AM by kasundinesh »

Offline not_this_punk

• Helpful? 1
Re: shape identifying robot
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
For identifying shapes you'll need image analysis techniques and those are quite computational intensive. You need to do segmentation on your frames (and you somehow need to automatically find the threshold and that's not simple), labeling eventually and the simple stuff involve just the calculation of surface and perimeter. This is the easiest way to tell apart a circle from a square (and maybe even a triangle!).

The more complex method use shape descriptors (there are about 9 of them I think) and they work really great (they're invariant to rotation, scaling, translation etc). The problem is that again, it's a little too tough on the MCU because you'll have to compute multiple order statistical moments.

If you really wanna do it I'll help you out with the algorithms.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: shape identifying robot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »
Hay thankz buddy, i really appreciate you for replying.i also thought to identify shapes by counting the area. but i m using CMU cam2. i think to use line mode of that cam. manual says in line mode, we can get a binary image of a given color.but i m confused with that data. i only tested it one time using hyper terminal. if u can, please explane about line mode of CMU CAM.i try to finish the mechanical part these days.soon i ll post some pic s.
thankz

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
Re: shape identifying robot CMU CAM
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
hi,
ahh CMUcam, thats my area. What you'll have to do is Dump Frame into you microcontroller, basically giving you access to every single pixel. Then you can figure out everything else. You'll know the color of every single pixel.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: shape identifying robot CMU CAM
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:43:15 AM »
hi,
thankz for replying. i read about the frame dumping in cmu cam manual. but i dont know weather mcu can handle those data. do you have any tutorials? i already tried shape recognition by using Nokia N70. it works. i am going to interface the MCU via bluetooth. code is still under developing. soon i will post it. please send me some tutorials/cods in CMU cam to this purpose.
thank you

Get Your Ad Here

data_list