go_away

Author Topic: Noise (dB) of a modified servo  (Read 1448 times)

Offline pete2009Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Noise (dB) of a modified servo
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in finding out how loud a modified servo would be in comparison to a standard DC motor.
The DC motors scream at around 10,000RPM and the gears slow that down and give them more torque. The servos are a lot slower at 50-100RPM.

I don't know enough about servos to figure out if it's just a standard 10,000RPM motor geared in a nice package or is the motor inside spinning much slower.

The bottom line is how much louder would a normal geared DC motor be vs modified servo (assuming similar amps/volts/torque, etc)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Noise (dB) of a modified servo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
Hi,

The RPM/V on a motor depends mainly on how it's wound (aside from friction of course).
The DC motors used in R/C servos are quite small and of comparatively low RPM.

The SPL of a motor is usually inverse proportional with the quality and the quality is proportional with the price (loosely speaking), which has to do with the type and quality of the gears and bearings, the engineering tolerances and so on.

You can get a DC motor of that approximate size for under $2 and you can pay hundreds of $$ (if not more) for a precision engineered motor of the same RPM and torque.
One example is the Dremel which is slightly better than its clones, but hopelessly inferior to the professional equivalents that goes 50,000 RPM without you even feeling it's on (unless you slice a pinkie ;D)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
I'm very nervous when I use my dremel.  I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it and it will start cutting a hole into the ground and keep going all the way to china.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »
wouldn't it just drop, tip over and possibly spin around for a bit?
Howdy

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:53:30 AM »
Glad to see you're right on topic ;)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
my dremel kicked back when i was cutting and left me with 13 stitches, couln't build for two weeks. plus a really nice scar

Get Your Ad Here