Author Topic: Interfacing WiFi USB and RS 232 systems  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Trigger_HappyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Interfacing WiFi USB and RS 232 systems
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »
I need to interface a WiFi unit to my bot to send some instructions wirelessly from my laptop. I know that it's very similar to the Bluetooth and Zigbee tutorials out there but i still have a couple of doubts:

• If I use a USB to UART converter will the whole USB host-slave problem still exist? (my module is a USB slave)[/color]
  • Can I link my USB Wifi module to a USB OTG chip and then plug it into my bot?
  • How can i configure my WiFi unit's SSID (I want to make it secure and hack proof :P )using my PC and a USB cable (i'll get drivers from the OEM provider)
  • There's also a provider who's giving me a solution with the SDIO interface can i simply use an SDIO to UART bridge and go about my work?

PS. I need to use only Wi-Fi I can't use an alternative! Also have any of you guys come across a Wi-Fi UART module?

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:21:16 AM by Trigger_Happy »

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Interfacing WiFi USB and RS 232 systems
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
If you want people to read what you write, don't put it in a colour that can't be read easily.

I need to interface a WiFi unit to my bot to send some instructions wirelessly from my laptop. I know that it's very similar to the Bluetooth and Zigbee tutorials out there but i still have a couple of doubts:

* If I use a USB to UART converter will the whole USB host-slave problem still exist? (my module is a USB slave)
    * Can I link my USB Wifi module to a USB OTG chip and then plug it into my bot?
    * How can i configure my WiFi unit's SSID (I want to make it secure and hack proof Tongue )using my PC and a USB cable (i'll get drivers from the OEM provider)
    * There's also a provider who's giving me a solution with the SDIO interface can i simply use an SDIO to UART bridge and go about my work?

PS. I need to use only Wi-Fi I can't use an alternative! Also have any of you guys come across a Wi-Fi UART module?

Cheers!!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:07:19 AM »
making your posts doesn't make more people read it, its just annoying ;)
have you checked out the wifly? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8869
it looks alright, but you will have to get a uart to serial chip to connect to it?
Howdy

Offline Trigger_HappyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:02 AM »
Sorry, my message preview had a really dark background so i used the colour :P

Anyways there are 2 main problems with the WiFly solution

1. It's too costly (I'm trying to build one for around 15-20 $)
2. It needs to support the 802.11G protocol

I can get an SDIO solution for 15$ but I'm not sure how to interface it with my bot  ??? I know I'd have to use an SDIO to UART converter but after that is it just a simple Tx-Rx connection or do I need to bring in a driver IC additionally?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list