Author Topic: Motion Sensors on a robot  (Read 1040 times)

Offline pete2009Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Motion Sensors on a robot
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:59:05 PM »
Simple question: Would it work ?

I want the robot to activate when it sense someone nearby. That will pretty much work as it's a stable platform.
What about a moving robot. To aim it at a moving target :)

Common sense would say no as the robot and the target are moving so the sensor has no way of fiuring out what is what.
My only thought is of combining the movement sensor with some other sensor like sonar, ir, etc ... and work it out from there (serious algorithms I guess)

Can anybody confirm if you can or can not put motion sensors on a moving bot?

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: Motion Sensors on a robot
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »
Sure.  If you take a look at the $50 robot, upgraded with an IR rangefinder and running the stampy algorithm, then you basically have a moving robot which follows objects.  if you want to build this robot, first look here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

After you have made the $50 robot (you dont need to make the light sensors if your only going for object following), read this to upgrade to an object following robot: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_50_robot_sharpIR.shtml

Sensors like IR rangefinders and Ultrasonic sensors can be used for object following, object detection, measurement etc.

Offline 4by4

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:13 PM »
If you mean a sensor such as a PIR sensor, as in the average home security sensor, that would definitely not work on a moving vehicle. I've been playing with one, and it generates large spurious signals when you move it or scan it.

It is very good as a stationary sensor though. I have been able to detect a "robot intruder" at about 70 ft range, and a car at 650 ft.

Offline pete2009Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
Thanks guys.

I actually gave up on the motion sensor and am thinking of a circular ultrasonic array. That will work stationary and movement.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list