go_away

Author Topic: AVR programmer failure  (Read 1505 times)

Offline sp33d0Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
AVR programmer failure
« on: July 03, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »
OK I am building the 50$ robot and I was modifying the servos and I downloaded the Hex file and when I tried to upload the ex file from AVR studio to my microcontroller to make the servo at 0 degrees I got a Connect failed select AVR programmer. Then I thought because I am using a 10 pin head rather then a 6 pin head I needed to try it through ponyprog2000. So I uploaded the hex file to ponyprog and I wen into the port setup and I tested the port and I came back positive yet when I tried to write the hex file to my microcontroller I got a message saying "device missing or unknown device." Did I do something wrong...? What programmer should I use, AVR studio, or ponyprog while I am using a 10 pin head. And why cant I upload the hex file to my servo? Does any of this make any sense to anyone...
sp33d0

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: AVR programmer failure
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
sounds like you might possibly have a problem of how you connected the wires onto the ic chip maybe you accidently got something wrong... doublke check it... i think with the ten pen you have to use ponyprog.... im not 100% sure but im pretty sure
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
Well I thought I had checked the connections but I guess Ill check again... thanks for replying
sp33d0

Offline Miles

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:23:59 PM »
what programming cable are you using? The cheaper one from sparkfun or the official avrispmkII?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »
I am using the cheaper one because by the time people had told me to get the more expensive one I had already bought it. And I checked the connections on my circuit board and I found some mistakes so I fixed them. I went back to ponyprog and uploaded the hex file for modifying the servos and I had it read the files(ponyprog) and the read came back positive so I tried to write it and  it came back positive but nothing happened. Then I reloaded the hex file and immediately tried to write the file and it came back negitive. What am I doing wrong or is it my circuit board which I have thoroughly checked for mistakes and I thinks I had found them all HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
Thanks to all the people who have responded and sorry about putting this problem in electronics when I started the thread I thought I was an electronic question.
sp33d0 

Offline kpmcgurk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
well, if you are using the cheaper one, you will not be able to program your robot directly from avr studio. you will need to use ponyprog... is everything connected properly?
some people are just Born smart, but some people have to work for it, and those are the people who succeed.

http://www.proboticworld.com

Get Your Ad Here