Electronics > Electronics

Fuzzy sonar spinner.

(1/4) > >>

NOOBinDistress:
I was wandering about fuzzy's top sonar for my 50 dollar robots. How does it rotate like that and should I have mine work like that ? Or should I just put on the very font of my robot? I am not even sure how to program or which sonar to get yet. But I was wandering when I do get it if I should get fuzzy's spinner sonar and if so how to do it. thanks. :D                               

Somchaya:
Hmm, if I'm not wrong, Fuzzy's sonar spins because it is mounted on a servo that can do the rotation.

Putting a sonar on a servo like that helps in the sense that you don't need to turn the robot to scan around the area, and servos are a lot more precise that turning on wheels.

However, it makes the mapping (if you're doing that) and calculations a little more tricky since you have to take into account the direction that the sonar is in when you process the sonar data.

Brandon121233:
A little more tricky is a bit of an understatement, there are a whole lot of angle and trig problems to solve, so unless you borrow someone elses code, it will be quite a task.

Edit- Sorry about that, I just scanned your post really fast, I thought you meant you wanted the robot itself to move back and forth, and as nanoBot said this is very difficult due to the trig involved ( I thought that is what you wanted to do, thats what I get for not thoroughly reading the post), but yes just mounting it on a revolving "turret" would be relatively easy (and it looks neat).

nanob0t:

--- Quote from: Brandon121233 on April 16, 2007, 10:10:43 PM ---A little more tricky is a bit of an understatement, there are a whole lot of angle and trig problems to solve, so unless you borrow someone elses code, it will be quite a task.

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily.  I'm not quite sure if I understand the concept 100%, but all you would need to do is place an array in your code that stores the values each time you pulse out to the Ultrasonic sensor.  Then you send a pulse to move another few degrees and whatever.  Then you're able to compare the data within the array.

I did this for a robot I won the National Robotics Competition in.  I built a human finding robot.  It was a small robot with a turret, which was mounted an IRPD.  That scanned 13 places within 180 degrees and compared them in an array and moved based on the data.  Also was mounted another sensor (too early to remember), which picked up human body heat, which data was stored in another array as a 0 or a 1.  That was easily programmed also.

Admin:
yeap, nanob0t is right.

i just command my servo to go to angle X, take a sensor reading, and then store that reading in an array. i'd say the hardest part is just understanding how to program an array . . . no trig was used :P

you could also fix the sensor on the robot, then just spin the robot . . . but it wont have that much desired evil robot look . . .

FYI - its sharp IR, not sonar, that is spinning on the servo :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version