Author Topic: Trumpet Playing Robot... how does it work?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline corrado33Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Trumpet Playing Robot... how does it work?
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
See this video...

(Edit, second video in series on this page, or youtube "trumpet playing robot")
http://www.wonderhowto.com/wonderment/merry-christmas-bots-play-you-a-song-0113713/

Actually it's the second video... don't know where the link for that one is, but it's right below this one, it's hard to miss, just click on it.  (Although the first one is robot related too!)

Anyway, how do these work.  If anyone has every played a brass instrument, you have to make your lips vibrate to make the instrument work.  (Yes yes kinda like a motor boat)  So, how do the robots achieve this?  It's just a regular trumpet, you can tell cause in other videos the bot actually brings the trumpet to it's mouth, and you can see the mouthpiece. 

Also, you can change the note by simply vibrating your lips differently, in fact that's what you have to do to get to different octaves.  I'm very intrigued...

So, any ideas for how that works?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Trumpet Playing Robot... how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
I assume it has an air pump in there with a seal around the "mouth" of the robot and it blows through the
trumpet. That trumpet changes its notes using the "buttons" on it, there are three.
If you look closely you can see the robots hand playing it. Most noticeable at the start.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:16:41 PM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline corrado33Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
Well yeah I knew it blew air into it..., and there are only a certain numbers of notes you can get from three buttons...  BUT if you simply blow into a trumpet nothing happens.  It just sounds like hissing air.  That's why  you have to vibrate your lips.  And that's what I'm wondering about.

Offline T0110100101101101K

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »
All they have to do is vibrate the air entering the trumpet at the frequency they want to influence the pitch.  Lips do this for humans, but my guess is that they used some sort of flapper inside the mouth of the robot.

Here is a better view of a couple Aerophone playing robots. 
Toyota's Robot Quartet Band
.  You can see there is nothing protruding from the mouth, and the orifice is smooth.
A robot could do my job...

Get Your Ad Here