Author Topic: A: Image Tracking over range. B: The "Perfect" safety zone.  (Read 3458 times)

Offline NestorClassFourTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
A: Hey I've been looking into robots for some time now and I wanted some help on sensory equipment.

First off, how can you make a robot accept IR radio cameras?
Second, I want my robot to be able to judge Height/Range by using perspective. Any formulas= much appreciated!
And finally, I want my robot to keep a log of a person or object's motion by software, written into my OS, anybody know an algorithm or formula for that?

And I realise this is a lot of info to ask without return so here's part B

B: Sick of upsettingly long sums for safety zone calculation? What I always do is attach the servo or actuator to some kind of elastic band or bungee. This way, the robot is physically unable to overload most servos as the nice, cheap rubber will snap first.

NOTE: Some rubber is subject to fatigue. Watch for frayed rubber.

"I see the logic of your plan, it just seems too...... heartless," ("Sonny" I, robot 2004)

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: A: Image Tracking over range. B: The "Perfect" safety zone.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
Hi

For your video analysis you can use a peice of software called Roborealm. Search it on google, it will be easy to find. As for perspective, you need either two cameras, or a camera and a laser to be able to calculate depth and/or height. With the laser approach, i presume a bit of trig is all that is needed. With the dual camera apporach, i think it will be a bit more complicated.

You need to be more specific about your camera. What model? Any datasheets?

I don't understand your rubber band idea? Maybe expand on that a bit?
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: A: Image Tracking over range. B: The "Perfect" safety zone.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:50:14 AM »
First off, how can you make a robot accept IR radio cameras?
Just like any normal camera. The camera will output a signal and you must process it. This is a bit hard for a beginner so I recommend googling for some code then buy the camera they use.

And finally, I want my robot to keep a log of a person or object's motion by software, written into my OS, anybody know an algorithm or formula for that?
You are asking for things that experts who are doing state of the art research have trouble doing. I recommend reading my beginners tutorial on computer vision first:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_computer_vision_tutorial.shtml

As hazzer123 said, a webcam with roborealm will better match your skills.

B: Sick of upsettingly long sums for safety zone calculation? What I always do is attach the servo or actuator to some kind of elastic band or bungee. This way, the robot is physically unable to overload most servos as the nice, cheap rubber will snap first.

NOTE: Some rubber is subject to fatigue. Watch for frayed rubber.
yea but what if the servo is just too weak? calculations are very important . . . unless you dont mind buying motors that dont work . . .
check this out
http://www.societyofrobots.com/mechanics_dynamics.shtml
(it has a program that will do the math for you)

And remember, always keep your first robot ultra simple. Your second one can fetch you a beer.

Get Your Ad Here