go away spammer

Author Topic: Super noob multimeter question  (Read 3037 times)

Offline ribsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Super noob multimeter question
« on: June 16, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
Hi, I just got all my various robot parts in the mail and am getting ready to start on the $50 robot.

I turned on my very first multimeter for the very first time, and tested the voltage meter on a battery and the resistance on a resistor.  Yay.  First analog reading ever.

I'm reading the manual for the multimeter for measuring current and I don't get it: it says not to apply a voltage across the leads when measuring current.  Then it says to break the electrical path where I want to read the current, apply the leads, and turn on the power.  Doesn't inserting the meter into the circuit and turning on the power apply voltage across the leads?

Thanks for the help.

Coming soon: my first solder ever ;)

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Super noob multimeter question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 05:01:04 PM »
when measuring voltage touch one lead on the ground (-) and the other on the power (+)
for current you have to do this
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline ribsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »
Ok, I get it.  Break the circuit and insert the leads of the multimeter where I broke the circuit.  The manual is telling me not to span a resistor or something in an unbroken circuit because it could damage the meter, but it is redundant, assuming I have followed the directions of breaking the circuit and applying the leads correctly, right?

Thanks!

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
right. make the current go through the MultiMeter to check the current
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Get Your Ad Here

data_list