Author Topic: nanoLIAB performance  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Fredrik AnderssonTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
nanoLIAB performance
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
Hi,

I found an excellent opportunity to buy an nanoLIAB plus some other stuff really cheap: http://letsmakerobots.com/node/378

The nanoLIAB uses an 180 MHz ARM processor and i was wondering how far you could go with this processor as it might not be enough for what I want to do. I was first thinking of using a gumstix which is on 500 MHz.

I want to do some image processing that is a little more advanced than color blob detection. Maybe something in the line of face recognition (doesn't have to be realtime). I also want to do basic chat functions kind of like Le Trung's Aiko. It will also have to run some inverse kinematics stuff and sequences for servos.

So, is this processor enough for this? Or to what extent is it enough (because it depends a lot of the scale of these features)?
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: nanoLIAB performance
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
A direct link:
http://www.liab.dk/index.phtml?sek_id=75

Hmmm its written in crazy language . . . so I don't understand most of it . . . but I think with a bit of wiring it should work.

But why not buy a package deal? CMUcam3, AVRcam, or Blackfin? Those are all reprogrammable to do whatever you want.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:37:25 AM »
Sorry for that. It was Danish by the way :P

Here is an english version of it: http://www.liab.dk/index.phtml?sek_id=76

Well actually, I will get off much cheaper with this deal. I already have a decent webcam that I can interface with it (It's got an USB host port). I also get an arduino board with it, which would be great for my next project.

Anyway, I kind of want to program the vision software myself, to learn from the experience. And I want to aomething a little more advanced than simply blob detection.

What is the speed of the CMUcam3's processor?

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »
Have you checked out www.roborealm.com?  pretty powerful and free!!!

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
i like the look of the nanoLIAB actually.
it runs Debian Linux which is always a plus in my book because it means you have a *huge* repository of pre-built packages to draw from.

i have a few comments on some similar platforms here if you are interested: http://mrdunk.googlepages.com/processor

dunk.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
Aww... those parts were already sold, though the ad was still there :(

Well, I guess it will be an gumstix instead. The performance looks really great.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
Anyway, I kind of want to program the vision software myself, to learn from the experience. And I want to aomething a little more advanced than simply blob detection.
Ehhh, thats like saying 'I want to do the really hard stuff first, so that I can learn the basics' :P
Do blob detection first, and then you can do more advanced stuff like masking, edge detection, face detection, etc. Get the groundwork down first . . . And blob detection is more advanced than you think :P

What is the speed of the CMUcam3's processor?
google ;)

Oh and matlab has image processing stuff worth looking at.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list