go away spammer

Author Topic: Struggling with directions for avr software in 50 dollar robot.  (Read 13825 times)

Offline NOOBinDistressTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Hello I am a mega noobie to this robot stuff but just started because it looked really cool. I am currently doing the 50 dollar robot project and have all of the parts ordered and on the way. Right now I am working on the sofware part of the project and need help. I have all of the avr programs requested dowloaded and I am having trouble following instructions. I think what I will need is someone to make me a list of exactly what buttons to press or I could use someones Im and they could take me through step by step.
Here is what I can tell youL:1. I keep messing up  on the part where you download the tools and helpful stuff from the website, I beleive the link is photovore.
2. I have tried this so many times it is hard to make a clean slate because every time I make a new photovore file it says I  have already made 1 which I have.
3. I have trouble with the part from photovore down.
4. You probobly think I am a total idiot.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks.

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
Re: Struggling with directions for avr software in 50 dollar robot.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »
1. I keep messing up  on the part where you download the tools and helpful stuff from the website, I beleive the link is photovore.
2. I have tried this so many times it is hard to make a clean slate because every time I make a new photovore file it says I  have already made 1 which I have.
3. I have trouble with the part from photovore down.

It's hard to understand what you mean.  Why don't you describe exactly what you're doing and exactly what the computer tells you, and then maybe someone can help.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 05:24:16 AM »
Thanks for responding and I am sorry for double posting. Here are my problems. 1. I dont believe the  source code on 50 dollar robot is working or I am just not doing it right. 2.I would like to know if when creating the programing for you robot if everything has to be called photovore.(this is because I have already made so many photovore files that have not work.Everything is mixed up. 3. Finally, when I try to add exiting source files or whatever I can not fine photovore_v1.c. Thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »
I still need help. I was directed to this sight  because I was told it would show me how to make a bot and they would be very helpful. Well I kind of still need help. I have been doing the freaking instructionsfor like 7 hours straight. It keeps telling me I have no Photovorev_v1.c when I type it in. I typed it in because it was not under the photovore folder. ADMIN you made the 50 dollar robot project, right? Could you please help me. It is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
WHenever I click add source file it is not there under the photovore file where it is supposed to be. Was I supposed to make a Photovore_v1.c because It does not tell you in the tutorial to. It just says That if I look under that file Photovore_v1.c will just be there . Well it is not working. I ordered all of these parts and now canot use them because I dont know what to do :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(. I really wish someone would help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:00:51 PM »
whenever you look for a file dont type it in. click on it, but before you do click show all. easiest way to find a file is to put it on your desktop download the source code and put it there.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »
so the bit where the tutorial goes:
SOURCE CODE
Now you need to download the source code. Currently, I offer just one program for your robot, but plan to come out with others later:

Photovore v1.zip (March 10th, 2007) - Case-based photovore program.
Empty the contents into the proper folder. For example, for Photovore v1, empty all files into C:\My_Robots\Photovore_1
have you unzipped Photovore v1.zip into that directory?
if you go to that directory can you see a file called Photovore_v1.c in there? (Photovore_v1.c should have been one of the files contained in the zip file.)

dunk.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »
Ok I kinda sort of get what your saying. So Photovore_v1.c is in the Phovore_v1.aps link on the website that I saved into my Photovore_v1 folder? Tell me if this is right please? 1.upload and save source code link into my photovore folder. Then add existing souce code. Then look under all files and Photover_v1.c will be in the zipped folder I downloaded off the link? I will comment back in a little bit after I try it out. Thank you so much for helping me!!!!!!!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
Ok so here is where I am. I can add the header file (I just dragged and dropped) but I still can not find Photovore_v1.c in the add existing source code. On the header file part I just dragged and dropped the Sor. utils (or whatever it was) and that worked. I could do that with photovore_v1.c if I could find it. I can not find it. All I can find is Photovore.hex and photovore_v1 and photovore_1.aps all of the other files are not photovore_v1.c from what I can see. Please help.  thanks.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
Do you have it set to view all files under where you type teh file name?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
Yes even when I do that I can not find v1.c Is it in the zipped folder sbs something or other. Because if it is I cant find it. Thanks.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »
I think what I will do is get a video of what I am doing  so somebody can show me what to do

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
the vid wont work becaus e of my webcam and computer screen. OH welll. Can someone just give me a reasonable explanation why I can not find it in my photovore folder. ANother question when we download the Photovore link ( I think the file is called sbs something) We just save it under the photovore_v1 folder right?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
I CAN NOT FIND PHOTOVORE_V1.c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy. The one person who responded said that It should be in that sbs file thing that I downloaded from the Photovore_v1 link on the website. Well i can not find it. If it is there it is not under the name photovore_v1.c. OK!!!!! NOw could someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
I CAN NOT FIND PHOTOVORE_V1.c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy. The one person who responded said that It should be in that sbs file thing that I downloaded from the Photovore_v1 link on the website. Well i can not find it. If it is there it is not under the name photovore_v1.c. OK!!!!! NOw could someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Dude, redownload the zip file.  I redownloaded it two seconds ago, opened it up, and there was photovore_v1.c, plain as day.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »
OK if you do not beleive me I will write a list of all of the files in there that I can see.1.a2d
2. a2d
3.avrilbdefs
4.avrilbtypes
5.buffer
6.buffer
7.global
8.makefile
9.Photovore_v1
10.Photovore_v1
11.Photovore_v1.hex
12.rprintf
13.rprintf
14.SoR_Utils
15.timer
16.timer
17.uart
18.uart

that is the total list of all of the files from the downloaded link:
Photovore v1.zip. The zipped folder is called sbs_source_photovore_v1. Please tell  me if I am going to the wrong place. thanks.

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
In an explorer folder window, go to the Tools menu, select "Folder Options", and click on the "View" tab. Scroll the list down to "Hide extensions for known file types" and make sure it is unchecked.

Then hit "OK", and you should see your file...

- Jon

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 07:20:01 PM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked. Now when it says build started how long should it take? Because I just started it and its not done. Does it take a while? ANd will it say when the build is done because it is still not done . THANK YOU!!!!

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 08:04:32 PM »
what options did you select here? (pic)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:06:18 PM by ed1380 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »
OK so meybe it did let me find it. But now it can not be added because of illigal characters -C:\My_Robots\Photovore_v1\Photovore_v1.c  . How do I get rid of these "illigal characters"

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 08:08:21 PM »
I think I had it working before but then I deleted it when it said build started and it never ended within ten minutes. I had it too. NOw I can not add anything because of illigal characters.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »
click rebuild all

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 08:16:13 PM »
Will clicking rebuild all help me though?? I am not even to that step(because I started over). ANd now I can not add the v1.c file because of illigal characters. I dont know how to fix it. Please help

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »
OK I redid the whole thing and got around the illigal character problem myself I think.(im so proud of myself). So now I am going to sleep but i will post if it worked in the morning. thanks for everything.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
what did you do?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 06:20:34 AM »
Ok so it is doing the load thing now, I dont think it worked over night because it stops when my screen saver comes on and now it is making noises when it is doing stuff. It has been about 15 min. Now it does not have anything under breakpoints and trace points. I wander if it is not working

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:49 AM »
I redid the whole thing because i thought it took to long. And now it does not have trace points or anything. I am such an idiot. I had it working too.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 06:25:08 AM »
Should I just start over again because i am not getting any break points or trace points????

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 06:29:25 AM »
I must of never added the header file or source file because I can not add them now that I restarted. I keep coming up with this Illigal character error

Offline Somchaya

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • You know it's cute!
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Hmm, when you say illegal character error, what do you mean exactly? Is it an error in the path of the file, or within the code itself?
Somchaya - Back after a year of misc things
http://whisker.scribblewiki.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list