Author Topic: $50 Robot Power connection  (Read 2350 times)

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
$50 Robot Power connection
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:52 AM »
I used the 3 Pin Male Header per the tutorial but would like to use a 11.1V LiPo Battery and a 5V BEC. The problem I'm facing is the battery has a Deans Ultra Connector and I'm trying to figure out a way to connect it to the MCU. I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Anyone have and suggestions on how to mount a Deans Ultra Plug on the MCU board? I had thought about soldering in a cord with the plug but I'm not sure the board holes would be big enough for a 16 or 18 AWG wire.
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: $50 Robot Power connection
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
Use a screw terminal to mount the 16-18AWG wire on standard protoboard.  Alternatively, you can try soldering the open leads in sideways, across the top of a few holes, although this isn't nearly as structurally sound.

Offline walkercreationsTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • walkercreations
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
Thanks! I hadn't really thought of that because I was unfamiliar with many of the options available in robotics. Your talking about the type of terminals found on an Arduino?
Peter Walker
Fruitland, MD USA

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:09:23 AM »
I actually meant this: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8432, or something like it.

Arduino pins are connected with female headers, which generally only accept 22-24AWG easily (or something like that), and are really designed for breadboard wire or male headers.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list