Author Topic: How To Move A Robot In wanted direction While following a line?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline engg_fahdTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How To Move A Robot In wanted direction While following a line?
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
Hi!I am making a robot that has to do the following task:

• Follow the line and pick up the a box.
  • Follow the line,leading to the circle having the same color as the box and place the box in the area after the color.
  • Come back and do the same for the other boxes.
I have seen how line following is done but can't figure out how to use the sensors do get the job done.Please help me out.Thanks : )

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:59:35 PM by engg_fahd »

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Need Help In Robot's Design
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:02:11 PM »
A good place to start is at the top of this page. Click on "Robot Tutorials" and read every thing there. Then you should have some good ideas.
Good luck and have fun.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: How To Move A Robot In wanted direction While following a line?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »
Hi,

I have seen how line following is done but can't figure out how to use the sensors do get the job done.
Which is your problem, following a line in general or following the right line?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline engg_fahdTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »
Following the right line!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
Hi,

Since this is a competition, it would be very unfair if you were just given a solution, but as a help to get you started...
Look at the 2D floor plan and think of yourself as the robot - how would you go ahead finding and placing the boxes?
Each time you make a decision that changes course, pick up a box, place a box etc. you make a numbered note (writing it down of course).

This way you get the "minimum terms" for each sub operation - a state list, you may say and then you just have to translate each state into something your 'bot can use.
Shouldn't be hard to get it done in an afternoon.

If I had to do this, I would make a test field with the same elements (lines and boxes etc.) to test it out, but not necessarily the entire field - just the sections that is unique; like where the boxes are initially placed, but just a single one, as the rest is exactly like it.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Does the order matter or just the colors? Once you can identify the colors then all you have to do is use a maze following algorithm to prevent the bot from taking the same path again. Might not be optimal but gets the job done. After that you can work on tweaking it and maybe pre-program some of the paths so it knows to choice the best return path based on the color.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Fr0stAngel

• Helpful? 3
  • [O_O] what??
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
well you also have to devise a way to detect the color (an LDR and some colored LEDs could work) of the box, since the boxes are subjected to shuffling .so choose a generic pattern to go from starting point to random box, check its color, and decide your destination accordingly.
[off topic] what university do you belong to? UET , NUST , or QUAS etc? cause i may be able to guide you personally if you are from UETlhr.
'crazy' is the new hype! =)

data_list