Author Topic: Programmers and microcontrollers  (Read 2762 times)

Offline mdmedlinTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Programmers and microcontrollers
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »
I have access to a BK Precision 864 programmer and a 575A logic tester.  I did not buy these, I just have access to them.  I know that the 864 is obasolete and I may try to finagle our E&I guy to upgrade since all our computers have Vista now, but I digress.  The question that I have is I know that the winevr program is used to program using the programmers on the 50 parts list, but can I use the BK programmer with the code that is supplied, or do I have to write new code? The link to the programmer is here: http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/manuals/864_manual.pdf

Thanks again for your support also I tried reading the manual for the tester, will it actually test the IC's with the programms provided, or is that some sort of different test that it runs?
Do or do not, there is no try yes I changed my picture, it is of my daughter.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Programmers and microcontrollers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:02:44 AM »
Hi,

Pp 48, 49 tells you which devices you can program.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »
Yeah I saw that but I just wanted to make sure that it would be compatible, but for that I guess I would have to know what language the complier uses. 

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
Hi,

You either use a binary file or a hexadecimal file representing every byte of the binary file.
Language has nothing to do with it - the code burned into the controller is Machine Code.
Just find out if the programmer you are planning to use wants a binary file or a hex file (most professional programmers use binary files as the default, but can be changed to hex file (beware of the many different hex file formats - Intel hex is one of the most widely used).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:32:06 AM »
Thanks a lot  ;D