Author Topic: Soldering Technique  (Read 1926 times)

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Soldering Technique
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:38 AM »
In a few projects I've dug up through google, I've noticed a soldering technique that I'm not familiar with.

On home etched boards, I've seen several projects where they melt solder on, or "tin" (if that's the right word), all of the traces on the PCB.

First, is this a good practice?  I've never read anything about doing this, and I've done alot of reading.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt, right?

Next, why?  I can guess why, but I'd like to "know" why.  I'm guessing it's done to increase the size of the conductor along the trace where there isn't room to simply run a wider trace.  That doesn't explain why ALL of the traces are done this way, even low current traces.  Maybe to protect the copper traces from corrosion/oxidization?  Hide/fix a broken trace?

Just wondering.  I tried to google it, but I can 't figure out what it's called.   :P

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • I Am.  When?
Re: Soldering Technique
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
I can only think of two reasons people might be doing this.  First, as you said, to protect the trace from corrosion, although there are coatings for that, which have the added benefit of providing electrical insulation to preven accidental shorts.  The second might be that in etching your own pcb there is the likelihood that any given trace might have pitted slightly, or cracked even, from the acid dipping.  Applying that layer of solder across the traces would serve to fill in these potential problem spots.

That is just my best guesses though.
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:25:07 AM »
Against all odds, I was able to find a picture of what I'm talking about.  Can't believe I actually found it.   ;D

Attached the picture.  Here's the link to the project itself.

Link

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
I always tin my PCB's before I put components on it.

I find that it makes soldering surface mounts parts much easier.

Basically, one hand uses tweezers to hold the component on the board, while the other hand holds the soldering iron.

You don't need a third hand to hold the solder cause its already there :P

You also need to use lots of flux when doing the tinning method . . .

Get Your Ad Here

data_list