Author Topic: TRIAC driver/optocoupler max voltage  (Read 2040 times)

Offline newInRoboticsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
TRIAC driver/optocoupler max voltage
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Hello everybody  ;D

For my DIY project I have to use TRIAC. I've found K3020P TRIAC driver on eBay for very reasonable price. It states that max. voltage is 400V. My question is: Is 220VAC (from mains), in this case, considered to be 220V or 440V (as in: from -220V to +220V)?

Thanks in advance.

N.I.R.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: TRIAC driver/optocoupler max voltage
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »
Hi,

[...] It states that max. voltage is 400V. My question is: Is 220VAC (from mains), in this case, considered to be 220V or 440V (as in: from -220V to +220V)?
As the datasheet says, it's 400VDRM and that refers to the peak repetitive voltage it can handle without spurious triggers. So, find out how your voltage and current rise times looks (as they'll be responsive for the voltage breaking through.

Having made lots of 220VAC (and 240VAC since the EU harmonizing of voltages) TRIAC cicuits (240V is our normal mains and 410V is our 2..3 phase power mains), I'd advice you to go for a 600V TRIAC - 400V is a bit on the low side.

For the driver, it depends on how you use it - perhap a 400V device is fine, but hard to say without knowing the rest of the story :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
Thaks for answers Soeren  ;D

TRIAC will be used as soldering iron switch and Driver will be used to trigger TRIAC using microcontroller.

What do You mean by "it depends on how you use it"? What other uses are there for TRIAC driver other than driving TRIAC?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »
Hi,

TRIAC will be used as soldering iron switch and Driver will be used to trigger TRIAC using microcontroller.
Sounds a bit overkill using a µcontroller for a soldering iron temperature control, but as long as I don't have to... ;D

What do You mean by "it depends on how you use it"? What other uses are there for TRIAC driver other than driving TRIAC?
Using it directly to drive something (when load current permits), which in turn can be resistive or reactive.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »
Sounds a bit overkill using a µcontroller for a soldering iron temperature control, but as long as I don't have to... ;D
I'll interface LED to microcontroller as well as at some point use PID for better stability.

Using it directly to drive something (when load current permits), which in turn can be resistive or reactive.
That means I'll be fine using 600V TRIAC for iron switching and 400V Opto for driving TRIAC. Very good then  ;D