go away spammer

Author Topic: Why aren't there any cellphone controlled robots?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline algar32Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Why aren't there any cellphone controlled robots?
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:05:19 AM »
By that I mean controlled from miles and miles away and controls based off of the sounds from the other end. With plans nowadays with unlimited talk time and video chat i dont see why this hasnt been done. I ended up googling it and someone had done it with an older phone but not with any type of live video feed. http://www.instructables.com/id/Cellphone-operated-Robot/

I know nothing about robotics and was just wandering why it hadnt been done. I am sure there is a reason. Thanks.

Offline myloxian

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Why aren't there any cellphone controlled robots?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »
Why is my left arm slightly shorter than my right? I dunno. But I do know that there ARE remotely controlled robots via the internet (which includes WIFI, which includes cell phone). The concept of controlling any device with a cellphone has to utilize either the bluetooth (and good luck getting access via SDKs unless googlephone and i could be wrong about that since it's been a while since i bothered to find out if apple or microsoft were yet willing to allow control of bt via sdk) which is relative short range or the wifi which is still limited to the addressing problem inherent in the ip address space (ie, what's the ip address of the device you are trying to control-- assuming it's outside your local area, otherwise why not BT?).

Normally, such a project as controlling a device via the "general network" if you will, requires a fixed address scheme or registration process.

I've been toying with the idea of a registration server for just this purpose. Anybody interested in developing a new protocol? ;)

If you meant the robot would have a phone number, would respond to the ring, don't know, but bet it has been done.
No real value in old technology (unless you find a rare VFD tube worth 40 bucks... :)

Offline myloxian

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
sorry i failed to leave a signature. i was unaware i had no default sig.

myloxian

email:
[email protected]

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
If you meant the robot would have a phone number, would respond to the ring, don't know, but bet it has been done.
No real value in old technology (unless you find a rare VFD tube worth 40 bucks... Smiley

I am sure it has been done as well but I dont see why it hasnt been done more. You could just send your robot out into the world. while at home and tell it what to do from 5 states away. The reason I didnt think a wifi network would be probable is because I dont live in the city and wifi is not everywhere. I can more or less get phone service anywhere. I am just not sure if I have unlimited video calling.... Anyway I am certainly not going to do this anytime soon. I have to finish college first -_- . but I think it would be something fun to toy around with if it was ever completely functional.

Offline Rent2Own

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
I had this idea recently and tried to figure it out.  It seems like the dedicated phone the robot uses would have to have an unlimited data plan for it to work without using the audio channels. An extra phone just for the robot with a good plan killed my interest in it.

Also, I was thinking that you could do a mobile to mobile (i.e. verizon to verizon free minutes) thing with your robot.  Maybe find a way for it to answer your call (audio) and then send data over the voice line?  There's both a "to" and "from" frequency during calls, I read.

Sorry I don't have any specific technical advice. 

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Yah i have a ghetto metropcs smart phone. I have unlimited data. So i was going to throw it on there and just call it from Skype. I just think the concept of having control of your robot anywhere in the world is very cool.

A

Offline Sylvestre

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
There is a module called a drone cell in which you can control through another cellular device.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »
Hi,

[...] I just think the concept of having control of your robot anywhere in the world is very cool.
Will you still think that when, very soon, someone nick the entire thing?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »
Obviously other people damaging it or stealing it is an issue. But it has not properly been done before. And if they do steal or break it, then I will just  throw the video of them stealing it up on youtube and say this is why you shouldnt leave your robot miles away D:

Im still not sure if video calls are unlimited on my plan anyway. But if they were I would definitely be interested in trying this.

Offline Rent2Own

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
I wasn't worried about theft when I was considering this because I'd be using it in the national forest.  But there's no cell phone reception in there... so that was the biggest reason I lost interest.  (Other than the fact that I had no idea how to set it up in the first place.)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »
Haha. You really joined this forum to troll? I was just wandering if something like this had been done successfully and and was trying to get some input. Btw did you figure out how to delete a thread yet kido? lol

Get Your Ad Here