Author Topic: How to connect everything?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline SyntheticaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How to connect everything?
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »
Hey guys. This is my attempt at entry-level robotics. Looking for a low-intelligence RC, or a BEAM robot that I could later program and add sensors to. So a little about me first: Didn't finish high school, no knowledge of electronics or mechanics, no programming experience, want to build a robot. So that all sounds like a disaster but I took apart some stuff and salvaged some green tron-like things with metal stuff all over it. (I assume these are circuit boards or circuits) I understand that I can de-solder a lot of this stuff off of the green 'board' and re use it. That's cool, but I'm wondering if I can somehow make all of my stuff work together without making new circuit boards with these components.

Let's get into a little more detail of what all 'stuff' I have.

I took apart two old desktops, an old Dell, and a less older ASUS. So I obviously have two ATX, which I read are dangerous to noobs like me. I have a portable DVD player in this category as well. Maybe it's only dangerous if it's still plugged in, not sure. (Some of you are laughing like crazy right now I'm sure.)

I also have three remotes from TVs that aren't in the picture as well as a couple radios that are still assembled, they too have a shock warning. I also have a microwave... Anyway.

For the things I have already disassembled: One TV remote, One RC Air Hogs Transmitter, One RC monster truck, Two floppy disc drives for the motors, a CD-drive and a DVD-drive, two toy things for the motors, a bunch of LEDs red green and IR, tons of random components available as well. There might be more I'm forgetting to list but I think that's it. I have some batteries for power sources too.

If anyone would like to work closely with me on this that would be cool. I think I also have a pretty revolutionary idea for an AI if anyone can write code really well.

I tried to give you guys a photo of what's on the table but it was too large in file size apparently... So If you guys would like to email me or teach me how I can make this picture file smaller that would be great. Also I AM willing to put about 50 or 60 bucks into my robot. I would put some more but I really want to learn how to improvise early on. I also think I will learn a little more about electronics this way. Maybe I would learn more if I bought something else?

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: How to connect everything?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
 :) Hello!
If this is related to another post, and desa-vu happens, it will be ok.  ;D
From your description, where you are, and where you want to be, and what
you have, I would suggest the following;
Go to Parallax.com and check out their basic stamps. They have tech support and
an electronics (basic) description for their projects. Good investment, and lots of
instant learning.(all good, I hope!  ;) )
In so far as your parts, I would get a ready made robot kit, then use your parts to
integrate into the projects, where permissible. Any chips that are on the boards,
remove with caution; excessive heat can destroy the chips.
With all your stuff, your could make a MEGA - robot!   ;) Good luck!!  :) :D ;D

Get Your Ad Here