Author Topic: batteries servo  (Read 2310 times)

Offline TrumpkinTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
batteries servo
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:24:31 AM »
On the 50$ robot tutorial it says to buy a 1400 mah battery but in the pics it looks like its 1800 mah which one should I use? if I'm using this servo http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-475hb_super_pro_bb.html do I have to get a different battery? Thanks! ;D
Robots are awesome!

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: batteries servo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:17:38 PM »
Amp-hours just tell you how long your battery will last.  A 1-Ah battery will last 1 hour when putting out a constant 1 A, 30 minutes putting out 2 A, or 2 hours putting out .5 A.  1000 milliamp-hours = 1 amp-hour.

Offline TrumpkinTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
So it doesn't really matter what amount of mah your battery puts out? I was thinking that it could fry a circuit board or something bad like that. 
Robots are awesome!

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
First of all, you don't want to be designing circuits that will fry when connected to an ideal battery that can supply unlimited current.  The circuit itself should be designed so as not to draw more current than it can handle when supplied with the proper voltage.  The only battery spec you should care about from a circuit-frying perspective is voltage.  The battery specs you care about from a performance perspective are mah (how long will your battery last), current (can your battery supply as much current as your circuit will need), and noise (a noisy power supply can cause your circuit to behave erratically, though noise is not usually much of an issue for batteries).

So in short, mah only matters if one of your requirements is that your robot be able to operate for X hours drawing Y amps without running out of juice.

data_list