go away spammer

Author Topic: Infrared Transceiver not working  (Read 12211 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Infrared Transceiver not working
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »
Hmmmm I don't quite understand your question . . . it can only communicate with one thing at a time . . . its connected using UART.

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 05:16:58 AM »
Sorry, what i want to do is have a PS3 controller communicate with my laptop and have my laptop communicate with my robot.  What i mean by "at the same time" is will the Laptop be able to receive a signal from my PS3 controller, process the data, and finally tell my robot what to do.  I realize that something can emit and receive at the same time, but if its fast enough, could it simulate it?

Bane

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 06:39:35 AM »
What i mean by "at the same time" is will the Laptop be able to receive a signal from my PS3 controller, process the data, and finally tell my robot what to do.
Yeap. Just make sure the robot bluetooth isn't on the same channel as the PS3 controller . . .

I realize that something can emit and receive at the same time
Actually, with many transceivers, the rx and tx do *not* operate at the same time to prevent cross talk. You'd have to use different channels/frequencies to do this.

but if its fast enough, could it simulate it?
simulate what?

(you might want to create your own thread if you are serious about this project)

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
but if its fast enough, could it simulate it?
simulate what?
doing two things at the same time,  but never mind i see now that my question didn't make much sense :P

As far as being serious on my project, it's still a prototype and after reading this thread and tutorial i wanted to add this communication feature.  But don't worry, once a being my project a can assure you I will have many new threads :D.

Bane

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
Hey, admin, is this still up? succeded in any communication?
I noticed the news section pointing a forecoming IR transceiver tutorial, and I'm thinking of getting a few MCP chips myself, pretty much for IRda. But no news from your side, though. I've checked page 17 of the link, and it doesn't look that complicated, you know. Maybe we can come up with a custom protocol, aimed at robotics.

And heck, this might be even cool extra your product - axon. Having two of them talk to each other remotely, right out of the box, would be killer, and the hardware isn't that expensive (transceiver + leds).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:58:37 PM by izua »
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline steferfootballdude13

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
This may be a dumb question but is there a simpler way of doing this for voltage preferably with radio frequencies or something? (I didn't want to start a new thread)

Kinda like this:

Where the Voltage (on the left) would correspond to the voltage (on the right at all times). I'm making a series of  1:87 autonomous cars, and i want to put as much electronic equipment outside of the car itself and this would allow me to do it.

EDIT: I realized that i might have been unclear; It is NOT my intention to attempt to transmit DC through the air. Only the 1 or 0 from the signal and perhaps if necessary, how many volts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:47:31 AM by steferfootballdude13 »

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Yea so it took me almost a year to write up a tutorial, but here it is:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_irda_tutorial.shtml

Hope someone finds it useful and writes me a nice check as a thank-you  :P

IR Transceiver Demo

Offline Hero.sl

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
Hi everyone..
Sorry for digging such an old thread..

Hey Admin, in your tutorial on IrDA you have mentioned the ENDEC as MCP2155. Even though I noticed that pinouts are different in your digram,I ordered MCP2155 thinking I it will work properly as the video. But it didnot.. :( It is only now that I got to know you have used MCP2120.
First off itz good if you can correct the tutorial..

Following is the circuit I assembled to communicate with a mobile phone via IrDA. In the datasheet of MCP2155,it is noted that CTS signal will be high if the IC is working properly and the DSR will go high if there is a valid IR link. But the problem I have is CTS and DSR is high ever since I power up the circuit. They remain high even I remove the IrDA Transceiver. Do you have any idea about this issue?
And by the way,If I'm going to use MCP2120 for this purpose,I think I will have to implement IrDA IRComm using software(in a microcontroller). Does any one have a idea where should I start? Thanks in advance

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
in your tutorial on IrDA you have mentioned the ENDEC as MCP2155. Even though I noticed that pinouts are different in your digram,I ordered MCP2155 thinking I it will work properly as the video. But it didnot..  It is only now that I got to know you have used MCP2120.
Sorry about that! If I remember right, I wrongly bought the MCP2155 and then went to the MCP2120. But when I wrote my tutorial a year later, I forgot this, and looked up the wrong part in my order receipts. I updated the tutorial.

If I'm going to use MCP2120 for this purpose,I think I will have to implement IrDA IRComm using software(in a microcontroller). Does any one have a idea where should I start?
If you use the parts I did, you won't need to do IrDA stuff in software. But if you wanted to use less hardware, then you'd probably need to bit-bang it using the IrDA standard.

Unfortunately it appears irda.org now charges like $85 for you to even download the standard . . . sad . . .

Get Your Ad Here