Author Topic: Idea for robot covers  (Read 2776 times)

Offline DanscoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Idea for robot covers
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
Hi all,
Im new here, but Iv built a couple small bots.  I thought Id contribute with this economic method for cool robot covers.

I did this with my first rover bot (THX1138) Ill try for some pics..  anyway...

Use a plastic storage container  (they come in all shapes and sizes).  I built my robot on a plex platform stuck on top of an RC truck frame.  It worked fine, but was really lacking in the visual appeal department.    The idea for using a plastic container for a body first came from not a plastic container, but a covered cat box!   

I cut some holes in the cat box, and sandwiched the bottom of the "cat box" between my plex platform and the RC truck chassis.   This was visually awesome, it looked a lot like the star wars maintenance bots..  but the added weight and other performance issues forced me to look elsewhere.  This sent me to the kitchen pantry, and there I found a Tupperware container (sorta like the pic below) ..  This time I sandwiched the LID of the storage container between the plex and the RC truck frame, the body of the Tupperware fit on top.. some paint and some stick on letters, and THX1138 was born.   

I will use this same concept in my next bot, as there are as many different shapes and sizes of containers as there are robot ideas...

Hope someone finds this useful.  Questions?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Idea for robot covers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »
I just saw this, and pictured it upside down as a cover for a tracked tank thing..  Big too!

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
I wanted to point out two advantages of using the storage containers upside down.   

When your done and go to remove the "top" of your robot cover (or the big part of the container) access to the internals is greatly enhanced.  Your not working INSIDE a tub, but rather, on a flat FULLY accessible deck.   In fact, you could simply reinforce the "lid" to make a nice durable Platform... saving your self some trouble. 

Easy to work, drill holes with a screw driver, cut with a steak knife.   (this should give you a hint on how I work!) 

Thanks
Dansco

Offline gordon.cooke

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Great idea.  (and hi all- Im new on the forum).  About 20 yrs ago I did something similar using a plastic kitchen garbage can upside down.  Made a neat robot about 3 ft tall.  A peice of plywood cut to fit the just inside the top of the can made a great base and I just screwed through the sides of the plastic into the wood.  You're right that it is very easy to keep most of the electronics on the deck with very easy access.  I also mounted a motor up inside of the plastic can for some actuators on top of the robot.  The plastic can itself makes a very good structural platform! Held a reasonable amont of weight.

I havent tried it yet, but on the smaller side, some of the re-usable disposable lunch containers from ziplock and such would make a very cheap solution.

Offline Magnus

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
A lot of the new vacuum cleaners on the market have really cool looking housings. Some would make really neat robot bodies.

data_list