Author Topic: my bluesmirf dead on arrival?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
my bluesmirf dead on arrival?
« on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:31 AM »
I just got my new bluesmirf after the last one fried.

Problem is, the red led won't stop flashing. I go to bluetooth 'add devices' on my laptop and it doesn't see it, yet it sees my cell phone. At first the LED flashes really fast, but after a minute or two the flashing slows down (if that means anything to anyone).

Couldn't find anything on google . . . anyone disagree that my bluetooth was DoA? (dead on arrival)

Oh and I need this fixed asap, leaving for robogames in 2 days . . .

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: my bluesmirf dead on arrival?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
for cross reference, I posted this on the SparkFun forum:
http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=15880

new updates, still no luck . . .

Some things I should clarify.

- I tried multiple computers
- tried a different bluetooth PC dongle
- tried resetting my PC
- using XP
- this is the most recent bluesmirf version
- just flashes the red LED, and speeds up flashing after a min or two
- tried different duck antenna
- tried different wiring, different 5V regulators

(its simply powered on 5V regulated, nothing else connected except a duck antenna, using Asus bluetooth dongle, and before my last one fried I had no problem using it)

I tried resetting the bluesmirf to default settings, but nothing changed. Powered it up while holding 3.3V to pin #22. Then manually changed the voltage on that pin from 3.3V to ground three times as in the manual. Did I do that right? Is there another way to reset it by sending commands? I have a USB to TTL adapter I can use.

Also, I spoke with a friend with a similar problem. His bluesmirf is the old version, bought about a year or two ago. Except instead of the red LED flashing, its the green LED. I tried everything above to get his working too, but it won't. I used his about a year ago and it worked fine then. No luck!

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
which model do you have? the rpsma?  If so I have one and I can test whatever you are doing.  The way mine works is the red led blinks until it gets a signal.  Then the modules red and green leds fluctuate as te connection is made.  I'm using a Toshiba satellite p100 with built in bluetooth.  what terminal program are you using?  What baud rate are you trying?  If I remember correctly I think I had a tad bit of difficulty using bauds other than 115K.

My modules led slows down as it is trying to make a connection.  Another thought is do you have anything that could be causing interference.  Typically run my bluesmirf and a wii remote at the same time, but if I try to use my wireless headset then the bluesmirf gets kicked off.

If you have the same module as me then you also should be supplying 5V not 3.3V there is a regulator on board for generating the 3.3Vs to the bluetooth modem.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:14:43 PM by sonictj »

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »
Well, at least with the older versions, the color should change from flashing green to solid red when bluetooth connects (no serial data transfered). Its not an issue of data getting rejected or not, as bluetooth won't even connect. :P

There are no new version numbers that I know, its just whatever they currently sell now.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »
on this version it blinks red until it make a connection then it goes solid green.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
have you tried a different supply voltage other than 3.3?  Even though I just checked and the thing is rated 3.3-6V specs lie.  The bluesmirf could be not getting enough power.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
its simply powered on 5V regulated

:P

on this version it blinks red until it make a connection then it goes solid green.
so counter-intuitive, changing it like that . . . :P

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
sorry I missed you already tried 5v.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:34:57 PM by sonictj »

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:43:10 AM »
I figured out what was wrong: me.

Well actually, its the differences between the old and new Bluesmirf versions that totally threw me off.

On the old version, a flashing red light means an error occurred. A flashing green light would mean not connected. A solid red light would be connected.

But thats not true on the new version, confusing me. The solid green light now means connected, and a flashing red light means not connected.

Anyway, there are other differences. On the old version, I can just go to hyperterminal, select com6, push connect, and it'll work. Definitely doesn't work this way on the new version.

On the new I needed to go into a bluetooth menu and add it manually. Now I had tried to do that, but I didn't see 'Sparkfun-bt' like it was called on the old version. Instead I saw things like my cell phone, 'mikeys laptop', etc.

I also saw 'Firefly' with a picture of a cell phone, so thinking its just some guys cell phone I ignored it. I tried adding it before but got an error (don't remember why).

Well, I tried adding it again and well . . . it all works now. Bllaaaaaahhhhh!  :P

On the bright side, the old version took like 1.5s to connect, while the new only 0.5s :)

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
Its good to hear you got it working just in time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:57:38 PM by sonictj »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list