Author Topic: Autonomous Ground Vehicle  (Read 1975 times)

Offline yxsilentxyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Autonomous Ground Vehicle
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »
Hello All. I've recently discovered this website and forum while doing some research online as to where I should start in the process of developing and building an autonomous ground vehicle. This project is for the IEEE branch of my university. I am a third year electrical engineering student and my question is where I should start in terms of research and understanding what I need. I've scoured the internet and have begun compiling resources to research, and aside from different properties of electronic parts, what else can help? Any specifics will greatly help me. Thank you all so much.

Offline SeekingVision

• Helpful? 0
Re: Autonomous Ground Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
Can you be a little more specific? What size vehicle will you be using? What tasks will the robot initially be built to perform? What is your budget for the project, time and money? Are you able to program in any languages? Which? Is the robot to be digital or analog controlled? I once made a robot that just used relays following a ladder diagram for logic devices, is there anything special about your project that needs to be incorporated into it?
Robots are our children and will inherit the Earth.

Offline yxsilentxyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
Size is dependent on the group and how crazy we want it to be. The robot is supposed to follow GPS coordinates around a parking lot, so from point a to point b. There are 4 yellow giant containers that mark the inside boundary that we're not allowed to go into. There is a slalom of red barrels, a green hoop, and a blue ramp that we have to maneuver. We're given $1000 and the project deadline is June 22, 2015. We have a group of 5 that are split into hardware and software, me being on the middle, so I have to deal with research of hardware and software. Most likely programming in C (Arduino).

Offline Ibaeni

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
It may be useful to research RC vehicles. I'm currently building a quadcopter for a senior design class (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpXZnccf2D5zZKs32FRd2g). Although my project is autonomous, I've been able to learn about controls through RC hobbyists. For example, we've been able to somewhat hack a RC flight controller and mimic controls from a RC transmitter by using PWM outputs from an Arduino. You may be able to find controllers (with GPS capabilities) built for RC ground vehicles that can work with a microcontroller.

For the obstacle detection aspect of your project, you may consider using cameras and a raspberry pi. The xbox kinect has been used in several master/PhD level studies for navigation.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/robotics/projects/rgbd-3d-mapping/
The link above is a very in depth project with 3D mapping. You may be able to apply some of their research to your project.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list