Author Topic: USB server controller  (Read 3777 times)

Offline DanCFTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
USB server controller
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:47:55 PM »
Hello. I am new to this, so please excuse any wrong terminology. I am trying to connect servos to my PC to do some animatronics work. All the boards which I find connect through a serial or COM server, however all I have are USB and firewire ports. Does anybody here know of any USB based servo controllers?

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
Re: USB server controller
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
This would allow you to use any serial device through usb
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/US232R-10.htm

Note there are USB to TTL serial and USB to RS232 serial...which you need depends on the servo board you have.

Offline DanCFTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
OK thanks. One other thing i seem to notice is that I am going to need a power supply. I have a 500watt PC power supply which supplies 12V and 5V currents. If i fix it so that it runs when its not plugged into a motherboard, will that be suitable to power the microboard. I have an 11 amp moter which I need to connect. Does anyone know of a MCU that will handle that much juice?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »
will that be suitable to power the microboard
microcontrollers require typically .1A maximum (yes, it will work)

I have an 11 amp moter which I need to connect. Does anyone know of a MCU that will handle that much juice?
what you need to use is called a motor driver (search the forum for it for more info)

and a link for where to buy motor drivers/controllers:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_parts_list_electronics.shtml

Offline bigorangebus

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »
Hi, I wanted to control servos over USB and contacted these guys www.mirrorbow.com  who have a natty little USB IO board.  The board itself is spec'd to have 24 digital IO, 2 Analog to digital channels and a PWM, all self powered and controlled over USB (though you need extra power for your add ons like servos).  It simulates a com port, which was a boon as its much easier to write a program on a PC to send commands to a com port than to fiddle with DLLs and talk to USB directly.
The good news is that when I asked the tech guy at Mirrorbow about servo control, he already had a prototype which turns one of the ports into an 8 bit servo controller (for 8 servos), so they supplied me with a board with that software in it.  Its working great! 

If anyones interested in the servo functionality make sure you contact Mirrorbow first as I got the firmware on request.

Freddy

Get Your Ad Here