Author Topic: make your own telescoping rod  (Read 3041 times)

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
make your own telescoping rod
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Ok I'm tied of trying to find cheap telescoping magnetic rods or antennas that fit my weird needs for the project I am working on. I need a friction fit telescoping rod with a screw at the top and the bottom. It needs 5 segments minimum 11 preferred. Still designing the other sides of the product but I'd perfer #6-32 screw sizes.

Thats my requirements. Now I hacked open a telescoping rod and investigated how they are made. Each segment is rolled slightly on one end and the other end has a set of holes punched into it and a thin copper sleeve that is punched to fit into that slot. This provides the friction and the roll at one end stops the tube coming out and the punches prevent the inner tube from falling out.

That said I have an idea and will be experimenting with it but if someone has experience with this or resources that can help let me know. Still working on how to attach the screws and then I need to do a little design for manufacturing so I can crank out a lot of these without to much pain. I'll keep posting updates because this info might help someone later.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: make your own telescoping rod
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
Hi,

Where do you put the batteries?  ;)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Re: make your own telescoping rod
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
I realized after I posted it that it was under the wrong category. I have stop posting when I'm tired.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com