go away spammer

Author Topic: PCB, THC and SMD's?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline sotuTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
PCB, THC and SMD's?
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »
My school is having a job week, all of the students have to find a job for one week. I got a job at a place called "Bergen Plastics". They work on making customed Plastics material, they also make electronics...On they're page they say they develope electronics like PCB's, THC'S and SMD'S, i've tried searching google for it but i cant seem to find what exactly it is and what it can be used for. So i wondered if any of theese electronic components can be used for Robotic projects like controlling servos and so on. If this is the case this company might be my new electronics dealer..:D

Edit: I just searched the page for PCB and found out it means Printed Circuit Board, and i think i know what that is; A eks green board with holes in it where you can add components, with different leads between different holes.

But is finished-made PCB's good for robotic use?

But still guys, correct me on my PCB knowledge and i still want to know the meaning of THC and SMD.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:54:27 PM by sotu »
How to build a biped bot:

Offline jsmoker

• Helpful? 2
Re: PCB, THC and SMD's?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
well, PCB is Printed circuit board...so yes, SMD is Surface Mounted Devices, also yes, um...THC...I only know that as the special chemical found in marijuana (I'm sure...um...pretty sure that's not what they're refering to), so that one is up to you.

Offline zamboniman60

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »
PCB = Printed circuit board
THC = tetrahydrocannabinol
SMD = Surface Mount Devices

Yes, you can use their printed circuit boards in robotics, but you've got to get them to make them specially for you.

Offline snow

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:01:31 AM »
SMD resistor: http://www.arcol.co.uk/images/product-range/thin-film/smd.jpg
Normal resistor: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/images/resistors.jpg

Does the same thing, SMD is smaller and you dont need to drill holes, because you 'mount this device on the surface' :)

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 08:27:42 AM »
yup, you could use smd's in robotics, especialy in mini/micro aplications were space is limited,maby you should take the layout for the 50$ robot circut board, and get that printed as a pcb, lol

paulstreats

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
thc = through hole components.

these are like what most amateurs use i.e. you put the legs of a component through a hole to solder it wheras an smd is a component that sits with its legs on top of a pcd and needs soldering(These are usually v.small components and need different type of solder and technique to use)

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »
an smd component usually needs solder paste and an oven to set it

Get Your Ad Here

data_list