Author Topic: VB  (Read 1614 times)

Offline mahmoshaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
VB
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
hi all i am new for c++ programming and c c# etc but i am a visual basic  pro so can i use VB to program my robot? and if i can how?! ???

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: VB
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:59:16 AM »
It depends on the controller you're using.  Most microcontrollers that I know of are programmed either in C or assembly.  I'm not sure if you can find a VB microcontroller, and if you want to do it with the PC you'll have to work fairly hard at getting the proper input/output stuff working to drive the robot.

My suggestion is to get an Arduino or something and learn to use it's (highly scaled down...) version of C, then move on from there!
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline KurtEck

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »
There are lots of options.  Example you could create a robot that uses servos and maybe have the servos controlled by a Lynxmotion SSC-32.  This servo controller (and others like it), take commands over a serial port and take care of the servos for you.  You can now hook up your robot to your PC.  Could do this with simple RS232 line, or could make it wireless by Blue-tooth or XBee or WIFI type module.  If you go the wireless route, you just need one that is set up to a serial port (could be RS-232 level or 5V TTL level signals).

Then on the PC you need a matching module, which depends on the method you choose.  But for now lets assume one that sets up a serial port on your PC.  You then simply need to set up your VB program to talk to this serial port and have it issue the appropriate commands to the servo controller.   I have done this in the past where I had my VB application emulate my XBEE Remote control (more details up on Lynxmotion forums...).

Again many other options.  If you wish to stick with VB you could purchase one of the small single board PC boards... Or while not VB you could purchase a Micro controller that is controlled by a form of Basic.  Examples include: Parallax - Basic Stamps and Basic Micro - Basic Atom ...

Good Luck
Kurt

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
There are Stamp controllers, they use BASIC rather than VB, however, BASIC is realy basic language  ;D and is good starting point.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
http://www.ghielectronics.com/

GHI makes micros that execute .NET Micro (NETMF) code. I would assume this includes VB.NET which should be pretty similar to regular Visual Basic. I had no problem moving from Visual Basic to VB.NET.

I have no experience with the GHI micros, but they seem to have reviews for the Panda and the FEZ all over the place. Most are using C# though.
-garrett

Get Your Ad Here