go away spammer

Author Topic: Bray's Terminal  (Read 44807 times)

Offline airman00Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Bray's Terminal
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
Why does it seem like everyone uses Hyperterminal? Use Bray Terminal people!
It is much better than Hyperterminal, has settings that you can view the received data in hex format,string format, and even decimal format.

http://hw-server.com/software/termv19b.html

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Bray's Terminal
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
For linux users I've heard cutecom is good http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/
Robots are awesome!

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
I have very bad experiences with Hyperterminal, especially with handling of 8-bit serial data, so when I have to use Windows, I use either Br@y Terminal or TeraTerm.  TeraTerm has network communications features, but for serial i/o, I prefer Br@y.

Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
I gave it a try today. It lacks the network features that TeraTerm has, but TeraTerm can only do ports 1-4 which is useless for bluetooth.

I like the macro capabilities for Brays terminal, but I don't like the fact I need to restart the program to detect new ports being used. The custom baud feature is nice though. The auto-disconnect feature wasn't that useful, as it disconnects whenever the window isn't at top. I'd rather it only disconnect when another program tries to use the same com port.

My final opinion? I'll still be using Hyperterminal for simplicity, but I'll use Brays terminal when I need macros or other specific features that it has :P

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
I used it.... And I have mixed feeling really...
First of all, let's begin with the fact that my PC lack a natural aspired serial port...
For that reason I tested, with both a PCI card with two serial slot and a USB to serial wire...
Detection was alright no problem...
But amazingly my computer restarted when I was transmitting a lot of data through the USB to Serial...
Later I noticed that the same thing happens with an other terminal so, I'll accept this as irrelevant...
Also other con is that, I don't know why, but it take a hell of raw processing power from the computer!!!
Why???? I have a quad core AMD Phenom @2.81GHz..... That's really unacceptable... and it doesn't happen with other terminals...
Also for another reason I really don't know why (I looked up every option) I does change line even with a CR command.... Bad.....

But.... I can export and record data easily, and using programs as Origin and Exel for graphs is made easy...
Also ( I haven't tested but I will) recognizing bluetooth ports is very very useful for many projects!!!!

So.... I'll be using BASCOM terminal for project development and debugging and Br@y's terminal for more sophisticated things...
The main problem is the processing power it requires with a constant stream of data.... which really becomes irritating
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline sprince09

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:41:30 AM »
I'm using a Ubuntu machine as my platform, so I use minicom for my terminal needs. Haven't run into any problems with it yet, and it's so easy to install:

sudo apt-get install minicom

:)

Offline mjc

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »
Linux users should also consider moserial, http://live.gnome.org/moserial.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:56:45 PM by mjc »

Offline oberallgeier

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
Hallo all,

please tell me where I can download a runnig program like moserial ore cutecom. Target is my raspberry pi (and my best experineces with terminals is the br@y´s one - on Win - offcorse).

Problem: I am a very new linux-ist - without any experiences in compiling files on Linux.

Thank you

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »
Those may not be ported to the RPi. If you want something that works with Raspian, you probably want "minicom" (or perhaps "picocom" is ported.) Those are plain terminals; they do not do hex dumps.

sudo apt-get install minicom

Get Your Ad Here

data_list