Author Topic: Minimal Mechanical background- Want to design a rotating wood column  (Read 1979 times)

Offline chimera_786Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hi there! I'm an electrical engineer and want to design the mechanical portion for a rotating wooden column.

I have been searching online for all alternatives and I haven't been able to stream line the process. I didnt know which forum/internet location would be best to gather the relevant info and figured I can start here.

Requirements:

Rotate a rectangular column (10 inches tall, 4 inches wide and 1 inch thick) 360 degrees using a motor. I eventually have the plan to achieve the rotation with a stepper motor. I have attached a the picture of the column and the entire set up depicts a 4 bar linkage (it wasn't obvious to me for design but worked out :D)

Right now, I am having a hard time understanding what pieces will go together to achieve that. I assume I will need a gear set (spur gears, a motor etc).

So, what I am looking for (from this post) is a direction which can sort of map out what steps and materials I need to this done. I understand that I don't have enough detail in this post but that's only because I am not sure how to phrase the right questions.

Hopefully, this will get me started.

Thanks for looking!

Offline cyberjeff

• Helpful? 7
Re: Minimal Mechanical background- Want to design a rotating wood column
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:20:46 AM »
Your main problem  is  that you need a very good bearing at the bottom.

You can either choose from what is available for robots:

https://www.servocity.com/html/bearings___bushings.html

Or you can choose from what is available for vehicles, such as wheel hubs.

data_list