Author Topic: free 3D laser scanning software  (Read 6026 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
free 3D laser scanning software
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »
Thought this might be useful for someone . . .

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

DAVID-Laserscanner is a freeware software for 3d laser range scanning. All you need to build a 3d scanner is a PC, a camera (e.g. a webcam), a background corner, and a laser that projects a line onto the object you want to scan. So everyone can use it to scan objects without high costs; this is the big advantage over commercial solutions which are rather expensive.

Offline RedHookRusty

• Helpful? 0
Re: free 3D laser scanning software
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »
Wow thats amazing! I couldn't emagine anything i would use it for though :-\

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:36:08 PM »
I'm sorry I only briefly scanned the site, but does it tell what kinds of files it can be exported as, maybe Sketchup hopefully...
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

paulstreats

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
It exports to wavefront .obj files, which are generally a 3d industry standard file. I have 5 full 3d modelling packages, and 3 ray - tracer packages, and 1 terrain modelling package, these all accept .obj files.

Thinking along these lines, the general concept seems an excellent way to attempt adding object recognition into a robot, by using the camera to first take the outline of the object, quickly laser scan it and you could end up with 3d object data rather than just a 2d object. Its a bit ambitious for microcontrollers, and the laser scanner would have to be mounted in a way to have full pan, tilt, and translate. distance recognition without the special background would be difficult, but easier with 2 camera's. I think i'll leave it on the back burner for now.....
Possibly there is some other way without a laser, again 2 cameras would be a way forward.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list