Author Topic: Virtual COM Port  (Read 2621 times)

Offline galannthegreatTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
Virtual COM Port
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
I am wondering if anyone would know if there is a virtual COM port driver for Windows 7? I am asking this because I recently obtained a Keil MCB 214x development board and it will not work when I try to connect to it with Flashmagic.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Kurt

Offline KurtEck

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
Re: Virtual COM Port
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
Might help to know if you are 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7.  Yes there are virtual com port drivers, but they are specific to a board or for example if the board has usb built-in, it will depend on which chip set or the like.  I do know that for example with a board from Basic Micro some users were having problems on 64 bit windows of it not installing the appropriate driver.  They were able to rectify it by finding the appropriate driver package and manually installing the driver.

Good Luck
Kurt

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
I am using 64 Bit OS, and the chip is an LPC2148 on a Keil MCB214x development board. When I connect USB to the board it does not find the drivers for it. The device is an ARM 7, so unlike my Cortex M3 device it does not plug and play. I was just hoping for a generic Virtual COM port driver, as Keil does not have any support for this on their site.
Kurt

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
I'm not familiar with that environment, but there are a number of knowledge base articles about various problems people have had with drivers. You might find something helpful there.

http://www.keil.com/support/search.asp?Q=windows+driver&PG=1&PX=1&AV=

Joe

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:14 PM »
Thanks, I will go and check this out.
Kurt

Offline KurtEck

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 12
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:58:10 AM »
I would also suggest walking through the Chips website and see if you can find any drivers...
A quick search I found: http://www.nxp.com/#/pip/pip=[pip=LPC2141_42_44_46_48]|pp=[t=pip,i=LPC2141_42_44_46_48]

There are documents on how to write a virtual com port for the chip, but I did not look very careful to see if there was one to download...

Kurt