Author Topic: Motor Controller Circuit using ULN2064B  (Read 1401 times)

Offline jaden845Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Motor Controller Circuit using ULN2064B
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi.

I am trying to create a motor driver circuit using a darlington driver chip with 4x NPN Darlington switches. I believe I know how to accomplish the circuit with 2x NPN and 2x PNP within a chip but is it also possible to do so with 4x NPN switches?

The chip I currently own is a ULN2064B.

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Motor Controller Circuit using ULN2064B
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to create a motor driver circuit using a darlington driver chip with 4x NPN Darlington switches. I believe I know how to accomplish the circuit with 2x NPN and 2x PNP within a chip but is it also possible to do so with 4x NPN switches?
Possible yes (with limited joy).
Recommendable no.
Assuming your motor voltage is 12V, the high side NPN's would need a basis voltage of around 13.5V to conduct properly (which your logic can't deliver).

Besides, Darlingtons have a high voltage drop, so you may end up with around 3V less (than your supply) for the motor.

The chip I currently own is a ULN2064B.
Always post a link to a datasheet when possible - it gives you a better chance of getting useful answers.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline jaden845Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Motor Controller Circuit using ULN2064B
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
Soeren,

Thanks for the response. I think getting another chip would be the best bet then as a plan to run 2x 9V DC motors off a 9V battery.

Get Your Ad Here