go away spammer

Author Topic: What is the most popular microcontroller on the forum?  (Read 4300 times)

Offline lrmall01Topic starter

• Helpful? 2
What is the most popular microcontroller on the forum?
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Since this is my first post, let me start by saying I have been really impressed with the activity of this Forum.  I look forward to becoming part of the community!

I am tinkering around with the basics of the $50 robot using a Freescale microcontroller that I already have.  However, moving forward I would like to use whatever controller, IDE, and language is most prevalent here on the forums.

I know ATMega, WinAVR, and C was used in the $50 tutorial but the overall popularity of the Arduino environment is enticing.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Offline Sylvestre

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
Re: What is the most popular microcontroller on the forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »
The administrator's Axon uses the Atmega 640.  This is the best microcontroller I've used
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:20:05 PM by Sylvestre »

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »
I would say that the most popular micro on this forum would be the ATMEGA series of controllers. That is the base of the Axon and Axon II. Webbot has spent a LOT of time working on WEBBOTLIB and everything that goes with it. Even the Arduino you mention runs with an ATMEGA as it's heart.

There are a few people here that work with PICs quite frequently. I don't often see anyone mention a STAMP or PICAXE.

Hope that helps.
Conscripted

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
Admin's Axon and Axon II use the AtMega640 microcontroller.  The Axon and Axon II are not microcontrollers themselves.   ;D

Beat me to it ^^

Anyway, atmel chips are popular.  Mainly because webbot's webbotlib runs on (most of) them.  He also has ridiculously awesome tools that help you get started.  I mean you just tell the computer what you're using, and it gives you coding examples.  How much easier can it get?

An atmel atmega8 is a very cheap, small, dip (dual inline package) that's good to start out on if you don't want to buy admin's products.  It has a bit of everything.  

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
Hi,

I know ATMega, WinAVR, and C was used in the $50 tutorial but the overall popularity of the Arduino environment is enticing.
The Arduino series use Atmel chips as well.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Atmel chips are (I think) by far and away the most popular MCU in hobby robotics/electronics, if only because they're used in the Arduino. I'm a PIC person, purely because they're what I started with, I've built a toolchain for them, and Microchip is mucho generous with free samples ;) I've never bought one, and yet I have more than I need.

*Serious note*: Do not abuse free sample providers! Be sensible.

Thanks,
Barnaby

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Hi,

[...] free samples ;) I've never bought one, and yet I have more than I need.

*Serious note*: Do not abuse free sample providers! Be sensible.
An interesting combination of statements... And ethics  ;)

One might argue, that getting free samples, with no intent whatsoever to buy anything, should the samples work out good, is abuse.
"Being sensible" is when you only get samples of something that you honestly need to try out for fits.

And this kind of abuse is exactly what has led to eg. Polish (amongst others) engineers being unable to get the samples they need from Microchip, so yes... It does have consequences.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline BigKLaxer

• Helpful? 2
    • Power Wheels Robot Project
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:36:30 AM »
One might argue, that getting free samples, with no intent whatsoever to buy anything, should the samples work out good, is abuse.
"Being sensible" is when you only get samples of something that you honestly need to try out for fits.

But then again the next time he gets a micro he'll probably buy one he has experience with such as PIC.  Plus he just advertised for them.

But anyways, I'm a big fan of the Atmega series of microcontrollers.  I use an Arduino to prototype and tests concepts, and then use the basic Atmega chip for the final product.
Experimental Mobile Robotics Platform: http://www.udrobot.blogspot.com

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
Hi,

Let me start by stating that I'm not directing this towards WaterPig Master[ in particular, but rather more generally towards the trend with lists of "sample giving companies" circulating the net and more than a few persons really abusing it to fill boxes with stuff they'll never get to use - just because it's possible (if you cheat a little) and for bragging rights.
Some people are methodically asking for samples on a weekly, if not daily, basis - some just to stockpile, others to sell on eBay and such places.

Calling you local representative, honestly telling them that you're a hobbyist with this or that project and showing a (genuine) interest in the product, should yield a fair amount of samples, without any kind of abuse.
During my youth (before the www was even a dirty dream), I called numerous companies, when funding was low and I got, not only components for free, but lots of help from their engineers as well, simply because they weren't used to someone outside the industry taking interest in their products (I heard that a lot) and perhaps it was a welcome break in their daily routines.

But then again the next time he gets a micro he'll probably buy one he has experience with such as PIC. 
This argument is valid IF the sampler is either planning a major production, or is going to a job where he is gonna have a large say in whether this or that product is used, otherwise it really ain't.
And why would he change behavior?
Next time he gets a micro, he'll probably get it as a sample and sampling 10 or 100 isn't really made up by buying a single ;)

Plus he just advertised for them.
No, he advertised for getting goods for free from them - and that leaves them as easy to exploit, rather than as a company making top notch microcontrollers (and other stuff).

When I mentions them, it's as a very satisfied customer*, which puts them in a far better light than just someone to exploit.

*Customer, as in buying stuff...
From Microchip, over the years:
Total amount of chips sampled: 6 pcs.
Total amount of chips bought: Thousands.

But anyways, I'm a big fan of the Atmega series of microcontrollers.  I use an Arduino to prototype and tests concepts, and then use the basic Atmega chip for the final product.
Whatever floats you 'bo(a)t :)
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Get Your Ad Here