Author Topic: Why is the Axon 2 not connecting to the computer  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Robot_LongbordrTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Why is the Axon 2 not connecting to the computer
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
Hi i recently just got my axon 2 in the mail and after i charged my 6v battery i connected it to the axon 2 the marquee the indicator light and the power light lit up, (the led was not flashing which would have meant it was reset i think). I thought great it works i also noticed that the usb port heated up (nothing plugged in) as well as the regulator i thought nothing of this at the time though (note my first interaction with the axon 2 first time connected to the battery). Then i went and followed the getting started guide for the axon 2 i downloaded the usb driver and connected the axon 2. The computer didn't ask to install the drivers and i checked to see if it even saw the axon 2, it didn't. I tried this on my 64 bit windows 7 and 32bit  windows XP both same results. I then researched this problem and found this forum post http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=8969.0 I then thought "oh no!! its fried" is my usb shorting and not working i mean it got hot and did not connect so... but the thing i have no idea why or how i could have shorted it and now i figure ill just have use a hardware programmer but now to my question How in the world could i have messed up the usb? also if the usb is over heating (like after a minute of being on not plugged in) will this effect anything like damage anything or does it even matter. :( ??? I really wanted to get this robot done before starting high school but now i have hit a snag. Also i know admin individually checks each axon 2 so i cant get a refund or a new one, sigh.. but i don't if i broke the usb or not.

Also BTW im positive the battery is fully charged, i used a battery checker and its at about 6.5 volts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:27:20 PM by Robot_Longbordr »

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Why is the Axon 2 not connecting to the computer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
I've got nothing definite, but a few things to check, that might help others diagnose:
-Can you reproduce the heating of stuff? What about powered on without USB connection? (I would expect no heat either way....)
-Just to be thorough about the computer recognizing the Axon 2 (actually I think it recognizes the FT232 Serial-USB IC, but whatever), are you looking in the device manager? (Windows key + R, enter devmgmt.msc, and click OK)  For me, the Axon and Mote show up in the category "Ports (COM & LPT)".
-Do you have another cable to try with?

Not a fun start... I sympathize.
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
Okay i got a new cable to test it out and still the same result and i was sure i was in device manager. Also i could replicate heating up when i plugged in just the usb not the battery it heated up especially the silabs chip (which i believe is the usb controller) heated up to the point that i almost burned myself this also happened when the battery was just plugged in not usb. Also on a side not on both the windows xp and the windows 7 computer i could not find ports on the list, but i did find universal serial bus controllers which seemed to have all the usb connections.

So now i can only assume something is shorting, but how it got to be that way is beyond me, was it something i did or a manufacturer error.

Also if its overheating it cant be good even if i just use a hardware programmer is there some way to fix it without replacing it altogether (but if i have to can i get discount. ;).. probably not but worth a shot)
i am kinda low on cash after this hefty purchase of all these robot parts so replacing it and explaining to my dad why i have to buy another 118 dollar piece that i already bought wont be easy.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
Hmmmm this is definitely odd . . . just to clarify, you plugged in just the battery (not USB), but the USB chip still heated up?

1) First, where are you plugging the battery in? It should be at the pin labeled B. If you accidentally plugged it in elsewhere, such as the 3.3V header, the USB is likely fried.

2) Is anything else touching the Axon while you plug in the battery? (metal screws, sitting on a metal table, etc.)

3) With nothing plugged in, use a multi-meter and measure the resistance between unregulated + ground, 3.3V and ground, and regulated + ground. Report your resistances here (it should be a high number for each).

my thoughts: worst case, it sounds like only the USB is fried . . . we might be able to help you recover from this

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
First of all thanks for getting back to me also thanks to gertlex okay i am sure that the usb is heating up without it plugged in and only the battery is plugged in.

1. I once (when i thought my battery was not charged...my bad) connected my battery to a 3.3v line just to test how something would connect to the axon so maybe the usb is fried

2.Also nothing else is touching like screws or metal table

3. And after i tested with a yellow radioshack multimeter by setting it to its test setting (which looks like a cross being partially covered up by a triangle laying on its side) and putting the gnd prob onto the ground point on the axon and touching the positive probe to the corresponding plus pins my results were

unreg 1.2, 1.3, 1.4

5v reg 1.5, 1.7, 1.8

3.3v 1.1 1.2 1.3

I don't think i did it very accurately or even did it right.
Also if it is fried how can i recover from this?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
Does your multimeter have the uppercase Omega symbol as an option? You used the continuity function
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
No my multimeter does not have the upper case omega symbol but i do think the usb is fried.

Is there a way to solve this problem like by removing the chip altogether or providing some sort of heatsink so that it overheating does not affect over components but now im seriously considering just replacing the axon 2

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:56:07 AM »
1. I once (when i thought my battery was not charged...my bad) connected my battery to a 3.3v line just to test how something would connect to the axon so maybe the usb is fried
Yeap, this was the problem. You fried your USB, and now it's shorting. It happens to the best of us (I fried some electronics just last week because I didn't properly read the instructions).

The good news is that nothing else on your board is damaged. You just need to remove the USB chip to get rid of the short. (if you had expert soldering skills, you could even replace it . . .)

The user totalis showed interest here that he was willing to repair and/or buy damaged Axon II's, you might want to talk with him.

Another option would be to cut a trace or two on the PCB leading to the USB chip, but then it won't be repairable later. The rest of the board will work fine, however. Keep in mind that without USB, the bootloader on it will not work, so you'd need an ISP programmer. I can help you with this option if you're interested.

And worst case, a new Axon II is now $108. I lowered the price not long ago.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
Ok thanks i think i will just buy a new one but i can i get a faster shipping option besides ground, also i have ordered a isp programmer so that i don't have to deal with the usb on the new one. Also my main computer is 64 bit so using the usb bootloader would mean moving the file to an older 32 bit machine but anyway totalis offered to buy my broken so i think i will go with that.

On a side note why would plugging the battery in a 3.3v line fry the usb? i am curious.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
On a side note why would plugging the battery in a 3.3v line fry the usb? i am curious.
You plugged 6V+ into a 3.3V output. As such, 6V touching 3.3V is a 2.7V short. The huge heat build up from the short would have melted the insides of your USB chip. :P

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
Oh ok i get it now thanks, also is there a way to get a faster shipping option like 3 day or 2 day vs. ground

thanks
robot_longbordr

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
I ship tomorrow, so if you order in the next ~4 hours you'll have it in ~3 business days. Maybe even 2, if you live on the north eastern coast of the US.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
Ok thanks ill order as soon as i can, like later today and ill probaly get it monday or tuesday as i live in the mid west.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »
More likely Tuesday or Wednesday, as Sunday isn't a business day :P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list