Author Topic: Distance sensor question  (Read 1502 times)

Offline addlemeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Distance sensor question
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:29:32 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a university project that we are gonna make a shooter that tries to shoot a golf ball to the target basket by trial and errors. The platform is flat except a simple linear obstacle and approximately 1m2. The shooter and the basket is fixed on the two opposite side of the platform for every shooting process. I'm searching a distance sensor that will be constructed on the line of the basket and measures the vertical distance of the passing golf balls' trajectory to the left side of the platform. We will use this measurement to understand how far the ball has passed from the basket and according to this result, the shooter will try another rational shoot.

Ultrasonic sensors first came to the mind, but I'm worried about their low sample rate that the sensor can skip the ball. The velocity of the ball is considered to be about 2m/s.

Which sensor or sensor type can you suggest for this situation? Any comment will be appreciated.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Distance sensor question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
Hi,

Sounds to me like you don't need a distance sensor, but rather a light curtain of some sorts.

A LASER pointer and a rod with a number of beam splitters (thin clear polycarbonate angled at 45° will do) can be used to make this and on the other side of the "field", a second rod containing a number of photo transistors with circuitry will tell which of the beams were broken.
Is that comprehensible or do you need an illustration?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline addlemeTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Distance sensor question
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
No need for illustration, it is quite comprehensible and a great recommendation. It will surely change my perspective. Thank you!

Get Your Ad Here