Author Topic: Simulation Software for computer vision  (Read 4752 times)

Offline evilknight007Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Simulation Software for computer vision
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:10:51 AM »
Hi guys,

I have just started working on a computer vision project using OpenCV.
Hoping to learn about the basics of the Computer Vision I have started with a basic obstacle avoidance program..

Can anyone suggest me on how to test my program without running it on an actual bot?
 I tried using Microsoft Robotics Studio , but its just not that easy to learn ???  :'(
Are there any other easy to use self learning software for computer vision simulation.

Thanks.

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
Re: Simulation Software for computer vision
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 05:00:54 AM »
What about Robo Realm?

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
RoboRealm is a program used to implement computer vision (it is also a general robot developing environment).  You're asking for a simulator to test your robot on (I do not think RoboRealm is one of these).  Personally, I don't know any simulators that handle computer vision, but then again, I don't use simulators.  In theory, you can simulate anything; but I'm not sure.
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »
Actually i did come to know of some simulators like Player ,Stage.
But they are built for the linux operating system alone. And i have never used anyother OS other than windows :-[.

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »
Actually i did come to know of some simulators like Player ,Stage.
But they are built for the linux operating system alone. And i have never used anyother OS other than windows :-[.

I run Linux and am decently good at it. I'm also a decent programmer. But I nor anyone else that I know has tried could get Player/Stage/PyRobot working without the special Knoppix CD, making it utterly useless! You aren't missing much anyway - a good idea, but the basic program leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't been able to try the vision and 3d simulation though...

How is OpenCV? What language are you programming it in? It was compatible with Java, C++, and Python last I checked, but rumor also has it that the newest rendition of python breaks compatibility with OpenCV.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »
I use the OpenCV library with C++ and i find it pretty good. I have been working with RoboRealm for the past six months and just thought that i could give OpenCV a try. Personally , i think its much more flexible than RoboRealm ( RoboRealm is great by the way  ;D.. It got me interested in Computer Vision in the first place).There are loads of great functions in the OpenCV library (and  i guess its a tad faster than RoboRealm),

I did some digging and found that by combining ODE - Open Dynamics Engine and OpenGL , one could create a decent simulator all by themselves. A lot of coding , but still serves the purpose.   ;)

I don't think i am that good a programmer and from all i have heard till now about simulation , i guess it will be a whole lot easier just to make a bot and test the code  ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »
RobotRealm does have computer vision simulation. Just load up any video you want, and it'll process it in real time.

For example, with Second Life . . .

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Screen_Capture.php

Get Your Ad Here