Author Topic: [Help] Motor place in mobilerobot  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Mohamedsaa3dTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
[Help] Motor place in mobilerobot
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:57:55 AM »
Hello , i want to know what is the difference between these 2 options of motor place in the robot plate  :

1 - Motors below the plate
2 - Motors above the plate

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: [Help] Motor place in mobilerobot
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »
 ;D Hello!
In reference to your request;
"I want to know what is the difference between these 2 options of motor place in the robot plate "
if the weight in on top of the motors, the total supported force is distributed on top of the motors, via
connecting bolts, then through the axles to the wheels.
If the weight is beneath the motors, all weight of the load is transmitted to the motors via the bolts
alone, then the axles to the wheels.
I would choose the motors under the plate method, because of weight distribution, and more space to
secure items on top of the plate. Good luck!! ;) :) :D ;D

Offline cyberjeff

• Helpful? 7
Re: [Help] Motor place in mobilerobot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
Wheeled robots come in a wide assortment of chassis. So all are feasible.

Consider the placement of the rest of the robot, the "brains" and the batteries. How do you wish them to  fit together?

If you are running this outside, then you may have other concerns. You gain a little ground clearance with the motors on top but then all the wiring and the motors themselves are exposed and not protected by the plate.

Sometimes you just need to move forward and see what matters and what doesn't. For the most mundane applications it will matter little. Start pushing the limits of speed and terrain and these things matter.

For where you are now, I would say worry not about this (aside from mklrobo's comments on motor mounting, a +1 to him), but about other things, like what does the drive train geometry look like. Do you want a wide chassis or a narrow one. That is far more important in how a wheeled robot turns and handles.

Now, I have little interest in wheeled robots, but for the legged robot I'm working on, the placement of motors/servos for the center of gravity does matter. Not so much for you.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list