go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 robot sensor promblem... i think  (Read 2202 times)

Offline dwb4629Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
$50 robot sensor promblem... i think
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »
howdy

so i just finished my $50 robot, and when i turned it on it just went in a straight line until the ground met the wall, followed by my $50 robot.  i've spent most of my day at work spacing out trying to wrap my mind around this, then the last couple hours messing with it, and i just don't see what the problem could be.  and please take note that to the left of the screen underneth my screen name it does say beginner, so bear with me please. in my lack of expertise i've decided it must be something with the sensors.  while my bot is running its course in a straight line i've introduced many differant lighting elements, along with differant ambiant lighting to see if there was any bahavioral changes, but to my dissapointment there was none.  i then tested the sensors and they are working,no faultly wiring, and they were built exactly to specs in the tutorial.  so then i erased the atmega8 and reprogrammed it.  that didn't do anything.  and i know i need to say it, i did check my wiring and all the connections on the board many many times and they seem to be fine.  beyond that i just don't know.  and i know that i really shouldn't get caught up thinking its the sensors because whenever i seem to be certain one thing is the problem it never turns out to be the case.  so i won't be suprised if it is not the sensors.  you know, the status led on the board isn't turning on either.  no idea if the problems are related.

thanks for reading my post, and i will always be greatful for some help or a theory on this issue or  even someone reminding me i'm bad at spelling.  thanks for being awesome.   

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: $50 robot sensor promblem... i think
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
Sounds like the robot's first run is just like the first run of every robot I've ever made - a disaster.  It's always like that.  Now just break your problem down into smaller pieces.  Measure sensor outputs, write little test programs to check pieces of the system one at a time, etc.

paulstreats

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
have you checked the sensor input points for a short circuit? (pins 27 and 28 shouldnt be joined together)

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »
Sounds like the robot's first run is just like the first run of every robot I've ever made - a disaster.  It's always like that.  Now just break your problem down into smaller pieces.  Measure sensor outputs, write little test programs to check pieces of the system one at a time, etc.

Good idea helped me with my small robot i had a problem when the bot would just keep taking right hand turns, so i did what they told me i took little codes from the bot and ran them by them selfs, turn out that i places the right servos pen in the wrong place, a simple mistake but could of taken me forever if i didn't test each part.

This was at school during a line contest i came in first ^_^ by knocking the other one out lol it was a race.

Offline dwb4629Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »
word.
thanks for the advice.  i was concerned at some point this thing you call "programming" would become a reality that i would have to undertake.  i have be in denial about it through the whole build process, concerned it would discourage me.  but now that i'm done building, i can accept the fact that i now need to hit the books and learn a thing or two about the basics of c.  testing each component indiviualy was something i wanted to do, but breaking down the code bit by bit was too overwhelming at that hour of night.  as far as the connections go i'm pretty sure everything checks out but checking for the thousandth time never hurts for someone as new as myself.

thanks again, and if someone else has any ideas or theories, i'll keep checking this thread, with thanksgiving tomorrow, and black freakin friday for those of you unfortunate people in retail like myself it might be a few days until i can sit down with the robo bot.  so thanks again for keepin it real.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
Something I tell all beginners - check the battery.

See if you can program just the LED to turn on/off to verify the code is working.

Get Your Ad Here