Author Topic: build your own microcontroller!  (Read 16503 times)

Offline hassanjavedTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
build your own microcontroller!
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
Hi guys! Is there any way to make your own microcontroller moreover,Is there any alternate to microcontrollers?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: build your own microcontroller!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:40:34 PM »
In reference to this page:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/microcontroller_tutorial.shtml

So you can easily go out and buy non-augmented microcontrollers (just the little black chip) for really cheap. There are many different types, and you can just get the simplest one that you need.

But in reality, you would still need to add your own augmentation (additional resistors, capacitors, timing crystals, rs232 stuff, fuses, etc.) , as specified by the datasheet and your own requirements.

At first it can all seem daunting and overwhelming, but its actually not hard at all if you have basic level electronics design knowledge.

Offline Nyx

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »
Did you mean designing the chip itself? I think there are a few companies that do custom silicon printing, but this might be expensive and impractical.

There are many brands and types of microcontrollers, so no, you're not limited to just one kind (like the basic stamp). You can also build your own motherboard with a simple CPU (like a 16-bit Z80), some RAM and an EEPROM, as well as your own I/O chips (which I think is what the admin was suggesting).

Offline cheaposcientist

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »
really? Because I am super poor and probably unable to buy something already programed. How would you do that? Set up one, I mean.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
If by setup you mean building the interface or controller board itself, there are many boards like the Mark III controller board from Junun that have schematics for the PCB, and you could then just buy the components, BUT the components could run you $20 with shipping, and unless you are very very skilled on making your own PCB's you will have to get some company to make you the PCB for over $20. The board itself from junun is $30. So really unless you own many many electronic components, microcontrollers, and know hoe to wire wrap, or make your own .2 mil PCB's, its better just to buy the thing and save your self the trouble.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline snow

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:48:31 AM »
You can make your own microcontroller by programming FPGA (xilinx, altera,...).

I know that some students at our univerisity have done an atmel microcontroller clone, which worked fasted than original microcontroller. Of course you can design you own new microcontroller. This is wise if you want to learn how MCU's work or you have a need for some specific MCU that isnt avalible at the market.

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:36 AM »
If you want a decent microcontroller go with AVR, because all of the software you need
to program them is free and open source. And there is tons on the web to help you with
examples and libraries.

Good kit to get started with that shouldn't limit you too much later:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=37

If you really really want to make a robot I sugest this board:
http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=139

But you would need to buy a jtag programer and some other stuff(batteries, moles connectors, ect) to get it to work.

Offline Hunchbacked

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:53:42 AM »
can you actually get a micro controller from house\junk objects?
I pretty much dont like showing my projects to, er, any1, so could i find a ready to use Microcontroller somewhere
it'd really help me do stuff with my gear

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:18:57 AM »
Go find a copy of "Junkbots, Bugbots, and Bots on Wheels: Building Simple Robots With BEAM Technology". That is a very straightforward introduction to building robots from household stuff.

- Jon

Get Your Ad Here

data_list