Author Topic: Can the motor make damage on circuit?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline augustTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Can the motor make damage on circuit?
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
When the power off and I'm spinning the stepper motor by hand (careful), on the driver panel the motor's  both led ("motor is running" and "24V power on") light up,
Do I need something (diodes) between the motor and driver to prevent my circuit or it's all right?

Because I read motors can make damages if they work back way.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Can the motor make damage on circuit?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »
Hi,

When the power off and I'm spinning the stepper motor by hand (careful), on the driver panel the motor's  both led ("motor is running" and "24V power on") light up,
Do I need something (diodes) between the motor and driver to prevent my circuit or it's all right?

Because I read motors can make damages if they work back way.
When you spin a stepper (or a DC motor forthat matter), it acts as a generator and may generate very high voltages, depending on the windings of the motor and the speed of "stepping" it by hand. Most "generator" flashlights (the ones where you either charge it or drive it directly by a handle) use either a stepper or a DC motor.

The same happens when you drive a motor and cut the power to it while it spins and even more so if you, while running it, reverse the direction without stopping it completely.

I'd assume that the driver you use are built to handle it, if you bought it for the purpose, but since you don't mention what you use to drive it, there's no way of telling, so please link to it if you want an assertion.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline augustTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Can the motor make damage on circuit?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:43:48 AM »
I'm using 3 same TB6560 single axis drivers and a 5 axis breakout board,

If I'm spinning the stepper, each single-driver's led are on too, so the revers Volt can go anywhere where it wants or come from (except the 5V breakout board's signal led luckily)

Thanks for your help  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:46:43 AM by august »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list