Author Topic: Best ways to learn  (Read 1653 times)

Offline KillerwolfbotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Best ways to learn
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
I've been ready alot of books lately and watching videos on youtube but I was wondering what are some other ways to learn robotics? I ask because reading books maybe informational but after a few hours of it, it gets alittle mondan.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Best ways to learn
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
Making them?  ;D

Buy the parts for the $50 robot and get started :)
I

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
Yep. ;)

Offline KillerwolfbotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
My main problem is I don't know to much about breadboards. Also, I'm more of a visual person so reading books only takes me so far.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
Just start doing. You'll then learn.

All of us don't know anything about building circuits at one time. We just built stuff and learned.

Offline WaterPig Master

• Helpful? 3
  • Hurdy Gurdy playing at Raglan
    • WaterPigs.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
My main problem is I don't know to much about breadboards. Also, I'm more of a visual person so reading books only takes me so far.

As waltr said, just start. As well as (or, IMHO, preferably before) the $50 robot, buy a breadboard, and some 'electronics starter kit' — they're all over eBay. Here's a link to a cheap one that'll give you all you need: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/613-Piece-Electronic-Component-Starter-Kit-k011-/350462080437?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item51992af5b5#ht_1765wt_907 (I am not affiliated in any way, but I've bought components from this seller and they're good). Make up some simple circuits — LED, voltage divider, flashing LED using a 555 timer — there are instructions all over the internet, and you can always ask for help here. BTW, a multimeter will help too. Adequate ones will cost £5 at the least, if you're on a budget.

You sound like me — you can only get so far reading books about theory, you need to actually see and do it. Good! Start building circuits — even if you end up assembling robots from pre-made parts, a knowledge of what's going on underneath will pay off bigtime.

Good luck!
Barnaby

data_list